Cannot view webpages online in normal mode, but can in safe mode.. Virus?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, Ive been fighting with my mothers PC for about a week, and I still cannot view any webpage, even after comcast couldnt help, and linksys couldnt help. I have two PC's hooked up VIA Wireless G, to Linksys wireless G Router, to Motorola surfboard modem, thru cable via comcast. My PC running WinXP Pro SP2, and her PC is running WinXP MCE2005. She does have Norton installed, which doesnt work anymore, it locks up when trying to start. My PC works fine, and is using AVG, Adaware, and ZA Firewall. Hers dont have any of the above, and everything is configured properly, and I can ping comcast IP thru cmd, and I can ping the router, but I get an "this page cannot be displayed" error when trying to view pages VIA Netscape, or IE6. If I boot into safe mode, I can get online just fine, and so I ran Trend Micro OVS, and it cleaned some stuff, said I had some grayware, and removed em. Also, I installed Zone Alarm after that, and it prompted to scan now, so I did, and it said the pc had some stuff, and removed em, asked for restart. Restarted, and still cannot view webpages. Her windows is an actual legal copy of windows, but cannot update it in safemode. I have had such a frustrating time with this, and I cannot seem to find the cause, but I have a feeling that it is somekind of virus or malware/spyware/adware on that PC that is causing the block of webpages. When I try to view www.google.com it says "Internet Explorer Error" " The search page cannot be displayed". when I use Netscape to pull up pages, it says "Error" " The connection to the internet has been blocked." Also, I cannot do a system restore. Everytime I try it says "system cannot be restored, no changes made". Im lost, and any help would be fantastic so I can get my mom off my PC before I loose it too! PLZ HELP! I am at work now, and cannot post a HJT but as soon as I get home in 1 hour, Ill recheck the forum, and post the HJT log, and see if we cant figure something else out. Thanks!

p1s7ol said:
MCE2005. She does have Norton installed, which doesnt work anymore, it locks up when trying to start.

but as soon as I get home in 1 hour, Ill recheck the forum, and post the HJT log, and see if we cant figure something else out. Thanks!
Did you uninstall Norton ? It`s been known to cause problems even when it doesn`t start.
I don`t know how comprehensive your spyware scans were,but for the record,here are Techspot`s official threads on the subject -

https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic30213.html and https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic19133.html

hmm

So Norton 2005 has been known to cause connectivity issues? I tried to uninstall it because it gave me some kind of error about norton not having the right files and needing to be reinstalled the other day, but when I did that it asked me for a login and password, which neither of us have... so how would I uninstall it without that information.. and any ideas on why the system restore feature doesnt work? Im at home now, Ill be hooking her PC up soon for the HJT log.

Having trouble getting HJT onto the other PC.. Its kinda a pain in the **** since I have to swap all the hardware (KB Mouse etc) everytime I switch PC's. We are in the middle of remodelling, so please be patient, as I have to be unfortunately.. I will hopefully get the chance to finish and post the HJT log tonight, around 8:30pm CST. Thanks for the help so far!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back