TechSpot

Can't access a drive, any hope?

By Amada
Jan 29, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have a hard drive that I was trying to run in a computer that keeps on locking up, so I'd have to keep on restarting it. I was hoping to access the hard drive, and finally did after a few reboots. The installation of Windows would blue screen at that point halfway through loading.

I popped in the Windows XP Pro disc and went to the recovery console. I read in some forum to do something along these lines, though I'm sure I didn't do it right: I typed in chkdsk /r, said there were errors that could not be fixed, chkdsk /p, similar results, and then tried fixboot. Now the drive is taking forever to be recognized (I have tried it on multiple computers, though maybe I wasn't doing something right), and it seems to be locking up the recovery console when it tries to reload it.

Are there any options I have with this drive? Is it just toast? There is very important information on it, but I would like to not have to take it to a professional. I have data recovery software, all I need is a solution so that while I have Windows running I can access the drive. Is trying to load it as an external hard drive an option?
  2. wilywombat

wilywombat Newcomer, in training

Hi Amanda,

As a try do a google (Iam not allowed to provide the direct link :-{ ) for Winternal's ERD Commander 2007 (ISO). Burn the ISO to a CD using Nero or whatever burner you have access to and reboot from the CD. Lokk in the Google results for the link to a site FunkyType for a description of what the disk will do.

Good Luck

Mike
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.