Can't access BIOS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone. I need some help. I am running a home built machine with XP Home as the operating system. I noticed that several things weren't running smoothly and decided to use the repair feature of XP. However, that necessitated powering up and booting from the XP disk which involved getting into the BIOS to change the boot-up sequence. Then I found theat I couldn't access the BIOS. Tried DEL, F2 and other combinations but to no avail. So I purchased a new 160 gig hard drive, but it isn't recognised by the BIOS. Help.

Geneset.

USB keyboard? Maybe your BIOS doesn't recognise it or it hasn't been enabled? Try with a PS/2 keyboard.

Power on the system with no keyboard attached. It should complain and tell you the key combination.

Read The Friendly Manual (the motherboard). The BIOS should be explained in detail there too.

geneset said:
Hi everyone. I need some help. I am running a home built machine with XP Home as the operating system. I noticed that several things weren't running smoothly and decided to use the repair feature of XP. However, that necessitated powering up and booting from the XP disk which involved getting into the BIOS to change the boot-up sequence. Then I found theat I couldn't access the BIOS. Tried DEL, F2 and other combinations but to no avail. So I purchased a new 160 gig hard drive, but it isn't recognised by the BIOS. Help.

Geneset.

Do you know anything about the make and model of your motherboard? Or, if it is a prebuilt, what retailer is it?

Common keys to access BIOS include F2, F8, F10, F12, DEL and sometimes even ESC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back