Can't access Google, connection times out

By bjhawn535
Dec 30, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I am not able to access google or yahoo searches. I get the following message:
    The connection has timed out
    The server at www.google.ca is taking too long to respond.
    * The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few
    moments.
    * If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
    connection.
    * If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
    that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

I have tried the following:
    Virus scans (5), spyware scans (3), and malware scans (3)
    I finally found your site after several days of searching and hair pulling, I read and followed the steps in:
    UPDATED 8-step Viruses/Spyware/Malware Preliminary Removal Instructions

Attached are the three log files produced after following the 8 steps suggested and one called Hosts. text.

Thanks in advance for your help. I am lost without Google.

Attached Files:

2. bjhawn535

bjhawn535 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Don't worry about replying to this post. I fixed the problem myself. I created a new 'Host' folder in my system 32 / drivers / etc and this repaired the problem.
  3. Bobbye

Bobbye Helper on the Fringe Posts: 16,392   +36

That's pretty good! Then why did my antivirus program terminate my connection because of an infection when I attempted to open the host attachment!!!
  4. bjhawn535

bjhawn535 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

I have no idea - I just know it worked for me. I ran my virus, malware and spybot programs several times over the past few days and they are all coming up clean. I guess the virus was cleaned on one of my several cleanings after I sent you the post. All my search engines are now back and my computer is running faster. Thanks for checking my files - I hope I really did get rid of the virus.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.