Can't access msconfig, task manager, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

djminus1

I am assuming this is some kind of virus. I am in safe mode right now and running a scan in Norton Internet Security. What can this be? What else can I do? I will run Adaware as soon as Norton is done.

NIS is not effective when running in safe mode. i recommend using AVG free edition (free.grisoft.com), which operates at its full capabilities in safe mode. as the name implies, this program is free. furthermore, norton internet security often times will miss viruses that AVG picks up. and yes, the problem you are describing could be caused by a virus or a nasty piece of spyware/malware. what operating system and service pack are you running?

Win XP Home Edition
SP2

I actually use Xoftspy for my spyware program and it did detect Haxdoor in Safe mode. I had the program remove it. I also downloaded Haxfix and ran that while in safe mode. I booted back up and still was not able to access Task Manager, but I was able to get into msconfig. Wierd. What else should I do? Help!

I will try downloading AVG and running that in safe mode to see if that helps.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Go and read this thread HERE, then post a HJT log as an attachment into this thread. I`ll take a look and see what you have running on your system.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

This thread is for the use of djminus1 only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

I am assuming that HJT should not be run in safe mode?

Here is the HJT log. This was run after a normal startup. I appreciate the help. I am not near as technical as many of the people on this forum!

Attachments

• hijackthis.log
    12.4 KB · Views: 12
Your system is infected with a variety of nasties.

Very Important: Before deciding whether you should clean or reformat your system, go and read this thread HERE and decide what it is you want to do.

If after reading the above, you wish to clean your system, do the following.

Go and read the Viruses/Spyware/Malware, preliminary removal instructions. Follow all the instructions exactly.

Post fresh HJT and AVG Antispyware logs as attachments into this thread, only after doing the above.

Regards Howard :)

This thread is for the use of djminus1 only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

I will probably just clean my computer. I did set up Microsoft Money on the computer, but it never did work right and I never really used it. Is this something to be concerned about? I believe I had to enter my bank passwords. I believe I have changed my passwords since then.

I would reformat but I would have a heck of a time getting all of my stuff reinstalled. My computer functions as a digital audio workstation and it took me quite some time to get everything functioning correctly in the first place.

I really only use this computer for my music studio, games, and digital media. My online banking is done from another computer.

What do you think?

Thanks again.

P.S. Looks like there were a ton of infected files in my Limewire folder. Just found out my roomate was trying to download games via Limewire. I have uninstalled Limewire.

P.P.S. I uninstalled NIS today. I am going with the AVG/ZoneAlarm combo. I feel like a free man!

Here is the latest HJT log. How does this look. I did quite a bit of cleaning with AVG, Adaware, etc.

You might want to copy and paste these instructions into a notepad file. Then you can have the file open in safe mode, so you can follow the instructions easier.

Boot into safe mode, under your normal user name(NOT THE ADMINISTRATOR ACCOUNT). See how HERE.

In Windows Explorer, turn on "Show all files and folders, including hidden and system". See how HERE.

Go to add remove programmes in your control panel and uninstall anything to do with(if there).

Viewpoint
Viewpoint Toolbar V35
Viewpoint Manager
Bodog Poker
AWS
WEATHE~1

Close control panel.

Open your task manager, by holding down the ctrl and alt keys and pressing the delete key.

Click on the processes tab and end process for(if there).

ViewMgr.exe
BackWeb-137903.exe
ALCXMNTR.EXE
PowerReg Scheduler V3.exe
GameClient.exe
Weather.exe

Close task manager.

Run HJT with no other programmes open(except notepad). Click the scan button. Have HJT fix the following, by placing a tick in the little box next to(if there).

O2 - BHO: Viewpoint Toolbar BHO - {A7327C09-B521-4EDB-8509-7D2660C9EC98} - C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Viewpoint Toolbar V35\ViewBarBHO.dll

O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - {0494D0D9-F8E0-41ad-92A3-14154ECE70AC} - (no file)

O3 - Toolbar: Viewpoint Toolbar - {F8AD5AA5-D966-4667-9DAF-2561D68B2012} - C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Viewpoint Toolbar V35\ViewBar.dll

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AlcxMonitor] ALCXMNTR.EXE

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ViewMgr] C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Viewpoint Manager\ViewMgr.exe

O4 - Startup: PowerReg Scheduler V3.exe

O4 - Global Startup: Updates from HP.lnk = C:\Program Files\Updates from HP\137903\Program\BackWeb-137903.exe

O8 - Extra context menu item: &Viewpoint Search - res://C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Viewpoint Toolbar V35\ViewBar.dll/CXTSEARCH.HTML

O9 - Extra button: Bodog Poker - {F47C1DB5-ED21-4dc1-853E-D1495792D4C5} - C:\Program Files\Bodog Poker\GameClient.exe

O9 - Extra button: WeatherBug - {AF6CABAB-61F9-4f12-A198-B7D41EF1CB52} - C:\PROGRA~1\AWS\WEATHE~1\Weather.exe (HKCU)

O16 - DPF: {2B96D5CC-C5B5-49A5-A69D-CC0A30F9028C} (MiniBugTransporterX Class) - http://download.weatherbug.com/minibug/tricklers/AWS/MiniBugTransporter.cab?

O16 - DPF: {49232000-16E4-426C-A231-62846947304B} - http://ipgweb.cce.hp.com/rdqcpc/downloads/sysinfo.cab

O16 - DPF: {88D758A3-D33B-45FD-91E3-67749B4057FA} - http://dm.screensavers.com/dm/installers/si/1/sinstaller.cab

Click on the fix checked button.

Close HJT.

Locate and delete the following bold files and/or directories(if there).

C:\PROGRA~1\AWS<Delete the entire folder.
C:\Program Files\Bodog Poker<Delete the entire folder.
C:\Program Files\Viewpoint<Delete the entire folder.
PowerReg Scheduler V3.exe<Search your system for this file and delete all instances found.
ALCXMNTR.EXE<Search your system for this file and delete all instances found.

Reboot into normal mode and rehide your protected OS files.

Post a fresh HJT log.

If you decide to reformat (or partition your HDD in the future), use a separate partition for your DAW applications, and the other for general/gaming use.. that way you can maximize all your PC capabilities purely for audio use and so a malware infection won't affect it much, since you won't be going on the net with the DAW bootup, only on the general bootup.

I followed all instructions ad here is my fresh HJT log. A couple of questions...

1) Why did I need to remove Bodog Poker?
2) Can I get a brief explanation of what was wrong and what I did to fix it? I am trying to learn so that I can do this myself if I were to have problems again in the future.
3) Does everything look ok now?

Thanks!

Your HJT log is now clean.

THIS is why you needed to remove Bodog poker.

The following programme/processes are all bad and can cause your system to be infected.

Viewpoint<Not to be trusted and can be used by malware of the same name, so it`s wise to get rid of it just in case.
Viewpoint Toolbar V35<Definitely considered bad, Google for more details.
Viewpoint Manager
Bodog Poker<See link.
AWS<Not necessarily bad, but can cause problems with adware.
WEATHE~1<As above.

If you have any further virus/spyware problems, please post in this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back