Can't access my slave HDD, "After Rebuild" - HELP !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok now this might sound confusing but I will try and explain what I did as best I can.

My original configuration was a 160 GB hard drive and a 200 GB slave HDD. I was in the process of upgrading video cards but had to use an old one while I waited for it to arrive. During this time I experienced problems loading my OS (Windows XP Pro W/SP2). I tried to tweak my way around the problem, but inadvertently started a reinstallation and screwed something up now the only thing I get is "NTLDR is missing".

My main objective is to access the drive to back-up my files, roughly 140 GB, I've already tried reloading windows but it say's I don't have enough free space - erase disc.

I ended up taking out both HDD's and put in a new 80 GB and loaded Windows XP Pro W/SP2 with large HDD support. That is working just fine. I then put my original C: drive in as the slave drive. Jumpers are all set correctly. The slave drive does show up under "My Computer", however it says it's only 10 MB with 3 MB free. I am assuming that the 10 mb is a partition of my original set up or formatting of the drive. If anyone has any ideas at all PLEASE HELP!!!

Thanks in advance, this board is great.

you have corrupt boot sector on the HD that is not working. You will have to low level format it. Boot your windows CD and delete all partitions on the non working drive. Then reformat it. If the drive came with a DOS-based formatter, use it instead. Western Digital drives tend to have software that will pre-format them.

Since LouDog wants to recover his data then a low level format would be a bad idea, wouldn't it?

Some HD recovery software would help you here. Plenty of them around, all of the cost a lot. If you need only a handful of specific files then those may be recovered using a program for direct disk access (any disk editor or just Linux/Unix) and a lot of patience.

Nodsu said:
Since LouDog wants to recover his data then a low level format would be a bad idea, wouldn't it?

Some HD recovery software would help you here. Plenty of them around, all of the cost a lot. If you need only a handful of specific files then those may be recovered using a program for direct disk access (any disk editor or just Linux/Unix) and a lot of patience.

Yes, reformating is NOT what I want to do just yet. I want to back up the files first, I'll look around for a "direct disk access" program, any in mind? Thanks for the ideas guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back