Can't access URLs in my Outlook Express

By lisette
Oct 13, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have no problem out in the web clicking on a URL and having it come up but when I click on a URL in my Outlook Express, nothing happens. How do I get URLs to work in my Outlook Expresss. I have Windows XP2000 :confused:
  2. meatologist

meatologist Newcomer, in training Posts: 152

3. meatologist

actually... whilst i think about it

Open Internet Explorer (even if you use another browser),
    go to Tools->Options->Programs
    and make sure that Outlook Express is listed as the email program.
    Close and open OE, then try again

GO !
  4. lisette

lisette Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

I'm sorry. I could have found that myself. Their instructions are as clear as mud. I was looking for some instructions for a fairly computer illiterate to be able to follow They tell me to go into the run program. That's not for newbies to get into easily.
  5. lisette

Thank you. Outlook Express is my email. I checked as you said.
  6. meatologist

have you tried my other suggestion?
  7. meatologist

ooooohh... WIRE CROSSING

OK - so - you've checked and Outlook Express is selected - so...

Select something else
    Click OK and Close Internet Explorer.
    Close Outlook Express.
    Open Internet Explorer - Reselect Outlook Express as ur mail
    Try Links from Outlook Express again....

To test links from another application:

If you have Office installed on your PC - open a Word document and type in a link..anything.. www.google.com

hit return a couple of times so that it actually turns into a link.

once it has turned into a link... Hold down Ctrl and click it

Does Internet Explorer open the link ???
  8. lisette

Sorry. I have tried those things and nothing works. IE didn't open the URL. It is weird because clicking URLs works everywhere but in OE.
  9. meatologist

Did you follow my suggestion of creating a link in Word? Did it work ?

The only other thing I can think of, is if you have a pop-up blocker installed? If so, try disabling the pop-up blocker and test links from OE.

If they work, then you know the problem lies within the pop-up blocker.

I also found this article on the MS website:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q177054

Do you have any other web browsers installed other than Internet Explorer?

Let me know how you get on...
  10. lisette

I do have a pop up blocker in SpywareBlaster. I disabled it completely but still cannot click on URLs in Outlook Express.

I clicked into your URL below and I don't understand. It has to do with web browser. I only have Internet Explorer and I can click on URLs there. I just can't click on URLs in my Outlook Express. I can highlight them and put them in my browser but I should be able to access them in my OUtlook Express.

I have gone into Outlook Express Options and Interne Explorere Options. Nothing works. :confused:
  11. meatologist

Then my last suggestion would be to run a repair on Internet Explorer. I have looked on the net and found that - aside from everything else I have mentioned - a repair fixes the problem.

look here for repairing IE:

http://www.infopackets.com/channels...links_in_outlook_express_dont_work_part_3.htm

Alternatively - download a different spyware program and scan your machine again.

Sorry - Dont know if anyone else here can help?!

RBS? Can you help this guy ?
  12. lisette

I thank you for all your help Meatologist. I will try your last option and then I think I will leave SpywareBlaster disabled for a while because something tells me that my problem lies there. I paid for it but I may get rid of it. Some programs cause more problems than they solve.

You have been very kind. Thank you.

I'll dig until I find the culprit LOL.
  13. lisette

Hi

I tried the Start, Run process but it asked for my XP Home Edition Pack 2 CD which of course I don't have because I downloaded from the web.

Can you tell me how to put my original XP Home Edition CD in and download again so as to remove XP Home Edition Pack 2 and I start from scratch.?

14. lisette

Finally WOW :wave: ;)

Thank you, thank you Meatologist

I found it through your instructions. I was leaving out one essential part but I finally got it.

Bless you

lisette
  15. meatologist

Cool.

Glad to help...
  16. ewan52

ewan52 Newcomer, in training

Can't access URL enclosed in an email.

Over the last couple of days I noticed that I could not click on any URL enclosed within an email message and have it display. Tried sending a known URL to myself with the same results.

After attempting Microsofts recommendations an insuring that Outlook Express was outlined in Internet Explorer as my active email browser. I started looking deeper. Ran SFC \Scannow with no luck.

Was on the verge of re-installing OE 6.0 when I remembered that I had installed a freeware program called Spy Catcher a couple of day previous.
    It had found a couple of files that it didn't like and quaranteened them.
    I found that the program was also substantially slowing my system down.
    De-installed the program from both my laptop and desktop and my URL problem immediately dissappeared.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.