Can't access URLs in my Outlook Express

Status
Not open for further replies.

lisette

I have no problem out in the web clicking on a URL and having it come up but when I click on a URL in my Outlook Express, nothing happens. How do I get URLs to work in my Outlook Expresss. I have Windows XP2000 :confused:

actually... whilst i think about it

Open Internet Explorer (even if you use another browser),
go to Tools->Options->Programs
and make sure that Outlook Express is listed as the email program.
Close and open OE, then try again

GO !

I'm sorry. I could have found that myself. Their instructions are as clear as mud. I was looking for some instructions for a fairly computer illiterate to be able to follow They tell me to go into the run program. That's not for newbies to get into easily.

ooooohh... WIRE CROSSING

OK - so - you've checked and Outlook Express is selected - so...

Select something else
Click OK and Close Internet Explorer.
Close Outlook Express.
Open Internet Explorer - Reselect Outlook Express as ur mail
Try Links from Outlook Express again....

To test links from another application:

If you have Office installed on your PC - open a Word document and type in a link..anything.. www.google.com

hit return a couple of times so that it actually turns into a link.

once it has turned into a link... Hold down Ctrl and click it

Does Internet Explorer open the link ???

Sorry. I have tried those things and nothing works. IE didn't open the URL. It is weird because clicking URLs works everywhere but in OE.

Did you follow my suggestion of creating a link in Word? Did it work ?

The only other thing I can think of, is if you have a pop-up blocker installed? If so, try disabling the pop-up blocker and test links from OE.

If they work, then you know the problem lies within the pop-up blocker.

I also found this article on the MS website:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q177054

Do you have any other web browsers installed other than Internet Explorer?

Let me know how you get on...

I do have a pop up blocker in SpywareBlaster. I disabled it completely but still cannot click on URLs in Outlook Express.

I clicked into your URL below and I don't understand. It has to do with web browser. I only have Internet Explorer and I can click on URLs there. I just can't click on URLs in my Outlook Express. I can highlight them and put them in my browser but I should be able to access them in my OUtlook Express.

I have gone into Outlook Express Options and Interne Explorere Options. Nothing works. :confused:

Then my last suggestion would be to run a repair on Internet Explorer. I have looked on the net and found that - aside from everything else I have mentioned - a repair fixes the problem.

look here for repairing IE:

http://www.infopackets.com/channels...links_in_outlook_express_dont_work_part_3.htm

Alternatively - download a different spyware program and scan your machine again.

Sorry - Dont know if anyone else here can help?!

RBS? Can you help this guy ?

I thank you for all your help Meatologist. I will try your last option and then I think I will leave SpywareBlaster disabled for a while because something tells me that my problem lies there. I paid for it but I may get rid of it. Some programs cause more problems than they solve.

You have been very kind. Thank you.

I'll dig until I find the culprit LOL.

Hi

I tried the Start, Run process but it asked for my XP Home Edition Pack 2 CD which of course I don't have because I downloaded from the web.

Can you tell me how to put my original XP Home Edition CD in and download again so as to remove XP Home Edition Pack 2 and I start from scratch.?

Finally WOW :wave: ;)

Thank you, thank you Meatologist

I found it through your instructions. I was leaving out one essential part but I finally got it.

Bless you

lisette

Can't access URL enclosed in an email.

Over the last couple of days I noticed that I could not click on any URL enclosed within an email message and have it display. Tried sending a known URL to myself with the same results.

After attempting Microsofts recommendations an insuring that Outlook Express was outlined in Internet Explorer as my active email browser. I started looking deeper. Ran SFC \Scannow with no luck.

Was on the verge of re-installing OE 6.0 when I remembered that I had installed a freeware program called Spy Catcher a couple of day previous.
It had found a couple of files that it didn't like and quaranteened them.
I found that the program was also substantially slowing my system down.
De-installed the program from both my laptop and desktop and my URL problem immediately dissappeared.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back