Can't adjust BIOS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello-lot of software glitches w win xp sp 2. I received an error message after hungup applications: IRQL-not less-or equal, with advice to disable bios memory, caching/shadowing. I have entered setup on my dell 8300 dimension many times and can't find a way to adjust these settings--there's no listing for advanced bios options or caching...Any ideas anyone? My Itunes won't run, computer won't run anything in the cd drives, sometimes the clock stops, outlook often freezes...otherwise everything's rosy. I removed recent software--cubase. But int exp 7 doesn't work either. Help!! Thanks

with advice to disable bios memory
?. What settings are you aiming to change within BIOS exactly? Do note that some settings are locked by manufacturers due to system stability and safety..

I think this is more of a hardware/compatibility issue rather than wayward BIOS settings. If it was to do with BIOS, then a simple CMOS reset (taking the battery out of the motherboard for a few seconds, then replacing it) or a "restore to factory/optimum settings" within BIOS setup would fix things.

What troubleshooting steps have you attempted to do? if you have, please expand, if not, i'll start with a few...

- try using memtest (link below) to check the ram is OK.
- upload any .dmp files stored in c:\Windows\Minidump folder.
- start up in safe mode and see if its stable now
- scan with your AV/ware apps
- open up the case and have a look at your insides. If its dusty, clean it. If there's signs of physical damage/irregularities/capacitor damage/burns /etc then get it checked out.

After following the excellent advice of N3051M, I would re-examine your advice as described in your post. Disabling caching/shadowing and disabling "BIOS memory" doesn't seem like advice that will resolve the problem. It is possible your troubleshooting is incomplete..
First, do a Google search for IRQ Not Less or Equal. You will find a large number of choices.
Memory sellers recommend both DDR PC2700 and DDR PC3200. We find errors when these two memory speeds are mixed, or when one or more modules are Value Ram while others are not. When you run memtest86, run it for four hours.
If you have the original video graphics card, you have an AGP 8X with limited memory. That card may be failing or too limited in memory.
Then rethink all other possibilities and scans for AntiVirus, AntiSpyware, etc. Include Adaware 6, SpyBot 1.4, and perhaps AVG Antispyware. There are other free scans from Panda, CA EZArmor, and others that might give you additional information.

Thank you very much for taking the time to give me the detailed replies! I really appreciate it--I will look into the issues-I have done spyware and viral scanning without help/nothing found. The recommendation to disable bios memory caching/shadowing was on a blue screen on the computer--microsoft generated.
Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back