Cant boot into linux install

By vegasgmc
Apr 28, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I installed the latest version of Ubuntu on an eMachine that already had Vista Ultimate. The install partitioned the hard drive and everything went fine but the next time I booted up the computer there was no boot loader, it just went straight to Vista. Can I put a Linux entry in the boot.ini file? This is my first time intalling Linux.
  2. Phantasm66

Phantasm66 Newcomer, in training Posts: 6,504

You maybe installed grub to the boot sector of your root partition ( / ) and not the MBR. I've not installed Ubuntu but there must be a custom install method or something that lets you specify where to install the boot loader.

Are you able to boot from the CD again into a safe mode, command prompt, rescue mode, anything like that??
  3. Da_g33k

Da_g33k Newcomer, in training

Phantasm66, you are right Ubuntu does have a custom install feature, all you have to do is set ubuntu to install the grub bootloader to the MBR.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.