Cant boot up, is it my mobo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tastegw

while trying to boot up the machine in my specs, (just completed)

i just get a blank screen, i have checked all the connections and they are intact and plugged in correctly, the 6pin pci connecter is plugged into the gpu. both the 8pin and the 24pin connectors are plugged into the mobo, ect ect..

all the fans and such work while trying to boot, even the cpu cooler lights up and the fan spins, just a blank screen, witch leads me to believe its either the gpu or the mobo.

the mobo has 4 indicator lights on it and 2 number type lights.

the 4 indicator lights show yellow, yellow, orange, orange

the number lights show 1, 1

can anyone tell me what these mean, the mobo manual i have is very breif and doesnt get into much detail.

while i wait for a response, i will go to evga.com and download the larger manual.

thanks in advance.

Reading my mind as checking what the lights mean should help.

Have you tried resetting the cmos?
Have you reseated the video card and ram?

Any issues with cpu being supported by the mobo?

Is the psu ok?

If the mobo is in your case is it grounding accidentally?

Not much info to go by but just a few suggestions...

after checking to see if the gpu was inserted correctly, i found it i cant get the darn thing out now. it seems to be stuck near the back end (right side)

what can i do about this? i dont want to break anything, but now i really need to take it out so i can reinsert it properly.

Usually theres a clip on the backside to keep the card from getting loose.
See if there is one and be sure the card isnt caught on any other hardware.

You should be ok but my first giess would be the video card isnt seated properly because I see it so often with systems that dont boot.

Crosscourt said:
Usually theres a clip on the backside to keep the card from getting loose.
See if there is one and be sure the card isnt caught on any other hardware.

You should be ok but my first giess would be the video card isnt seated properly because I see it so often with systems that dont boot.

it has the clip your talking about, but i cant see it now due to the gpu being extremely large.

i cant get my finger on it either....

They can be tough to reach but you can use a small screwdriver depdning on the type of clip being used.

One kind slides in and out the other pulls out to one side typically.

Crosscourt said:
They can be tough to reach but you can use a small screwdriver depdning on the type of clip being used.

One kind slides in and out the other pulls out to one side typically.

ill hook everything back up and give you an update in about 10 minutes.

ok, re-inserted it and made sure it was in correctly. i get the same results. black screen on boot up.

with that said, maybe i should give some in depth information to furthermore explain why i think its the motherboard.

everything in this build was brand new from either newegg or frys, everything but the motherboard.

the motherboard i bought off ebay and it was tagged "as-is"

ofcourse, it was at a really good price considering what it is. $69 for a mobo that retails for $150 or so.

so im back to square one.

on bootup, everything gets power as far as i can tell, all of my fans (6 total) and my lights run, the cpu cooler runs and its plugged directly into the mobo.
all the power connections are tight on the mobo and everything else.

those indicator lights still show green/green/orange/orange (the orange could be yellow, too hard to tell)

im thinking these are north and south bridge indicator lights, altho id bet that im wrong cause i really have no idea. also, i think the two green lights are "good" but not the next two.

i was wrong about the number lights, they dont say 1/1, they say -/- they are just set sideways lol.

any more suggestions?

The lights refer to sequenced codes so without a guide its tough to tell what it means.

Try testing the ram and running with just one stick then the other to test...

Youre sure all the power connectors are attached for cpu and videocard?

Do you have a different video card to test with or maybe onboard video?

It could be the mobo......

Crosscourt said:
The lights refer to sequenced codes so without a guide its tough to tell what it means.

Try testing the ram and running with just one stick then the other to test...

Youre sure all the power connectors are attached for cpu and videocard?

Do you have a different video card to test with or maybe onboard video?

It could be the mobo......

ya, i reset the cmos before installing everything. reset the mobo jumpers also.

ive tried with 2 sticks and 1 stick of memory, same thing.

i dont have another gpu to test, my old pc, the one im using to type here uses agp slot for gpu. that is the entire reason i wanted to build another system.

and no onboard video for this mobo, evga 590 SLI does not come with onboard ;/

Do you have a friend who you can use totest the other parts of your system other than the mobo?

From what youve said so far it does appear to be the mobo...

Crosscourt said:
Do you have a friend who you can use totest the other parts of your system other than the mobo?

From what youve said so far it does appear to be the mobo...

sure dont, well, atleast not in driving distance.

if its the mobo, im only down 69 bucks plus shipping, i just sold this pc im using here on ebay for a buck twenty, that should be more than enough to buy me a replacement mobo.

ill go shop me one from newegg in a sec.

wow, just read the faq's at evga about the 590 mainboard, it states that it does not support my darn cpu.......6000+ is the highest it will support! wow, i sure was fooled by the box for my mainboard. :( i was also told here on techspot that the x2 6400 would work for this mobo. bummer, 2 more days to wait for another mobo to come via mail.

well, thanks for your help, its much appriciated, and sorry for my spelling errors if i made any, i dont double check my typing nor do i use capps while typing ;)

Thats what I was asking earlier...whether your mobo supports your cpu?

Your welcome and glad to help.

Good luck and let me know what happens...

woohoo, im up and running on this new pc.

the problem was the mobo, newegg is so fast at getting me my orders even with standard shipping, they only take 2 days (they are located within 100 miles from me ;) )

so i bought a new mobo the ASUS M2N-E 570 SLI

i cant run the 2 8800gts cards on this (and still run at 16x) but one will do for now.

complete build + installing OS and all drivers took me 3 hours. had to restart the OS installation after an error (had to take one of the two memory strips out to fix this)

but for now, im damn happy, after these mistakes:

*original cause purchased was not wide enough for the cpu heatsink, had to modifiy my old case to get it all to fit in. ;) lol (atleast i have a clearside now)

*original cd/dvd combo wasnt sata (my stupid mistake not looking when purchased)
had to buy another one.

*purchased a "dead" mobo (purchased as-is, ill never do that again), had to spend the money on a new one.

*spent way too much green on accecories (lights, bay drive converter, ect)

all in all, i went about 300 bucks over budget for a total of around $900.

but the good news is, this new pc is a beast, atleast for me it is. vista gave it a .1 higher score than my sisters quad core by intel.
her score 5.5, my score 5.6 :)

i have to thank all of you that helped me along the way these last few weeks.
from choosing the right Video Card to choosing the right CPU and PSU.

im gonna go download 3dmark and check my score and compare them to my old pc.

peace for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back