Can't boot Win XP - STOP Errors

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomos42

Hi,

I recently installed Windows XP Pro on my old computer.
When someone was working on it a couple of days ago, XP froze and the computer was reset. This happened twice, but the second time it wouldn't reboot - it gets to the XP start up screen (with the scrolling blue thing) and restarts.
When trying to fix this by repairing XP with the repair utility on the XP install CD I get a collection of different STOP errors, the latest being "DRIVER_CORRUPTED_MMPOOL".
STOP 0x000000D0 (0x00000008, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x8087E54D)

I think I've narrowed it down to the mobo (ASUS A7A133) or hard drive (Western Digital Caviar 20GB) - I've taken out all CD/DVD drives, additional hard drives, USB devices and PCI cards (with the exception of the graphics card as there is no onboard graphics on the mobo).
I've also swapped the memory, mouse, graphics card and CPU, and updated the motherboard BIOS, but still nothing.
I can boot up Windows 98 using another hard drive with the XP hard drive as a slave. However the XP drive cannot be seen by Windows 98 (although it does appear in the BIOS) - Is this an XP thing of not liking being on a slave drive?
Also, Windows 98 can't find "bios.vxd", even after updating the BIOS.

Current spec:
ASUS A7A133 mobo
3DFX Voodoo3 3000 graphics card
1.53 GHz Athlon XP
384MB RAM

Any suggestions or pointers would be greatly appreciated as I'm going away for several months on Saturday and I'd like to get it working before I leave.

Thanks for your time,

Tom

You can always try flashing the ROM on the MOBO. If that doesn't work I would personally go to a reintall and hope that you had it all backed up. You could try placing the HDD into an Enclosure and test it on another computer also. I hope that helps. Good Luck

Thanks for your input Trax_1.
Do you mean the ROM that the BIOS is stored on? That was flashed when I updated the BIOS, so I guess that didn't fix it.
Fortunately it's only been running a week so there's not much new data on there (I still have the old hard drive with all the data and Windows 98 on it).
I'll try putting the hard drive in another computer and see if I can get it working, even if it's just to get the data off, but I think it's gonna be a reformat job tonight.

If I find a solution I'll post it here in case anyone else encounters a similar problem.

Thanks again,

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back