Can't burn 681 MB on a CD with 702 MB capacity

By abbasi
Sep 1, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Hello to all guys here,

I have an erasable CD and it's free (image no.1). When I want to burn some files with 681 MB on that CD, I face an error massage (image no.3) while the capacity of CD is more than that (702MB) and is empty.

What's the problem please?

Attached Files:

• 1.PNG
      1.PNG
      File size:
      37.6 KB
      Views:
    • 2.PNG
      2.PNG
      File size:
      30.9 KB
      Views:
    • 3.PNG
      3.PNG
      File size:
      40.1 KB
      Views:
  2. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,763   +1,423

Call up image number 2 and look at the "size on disk". That is 732,557,312 folder size vs 736,978,944 capacity on CD. At first glance you would think there is enough space on the CD for the folder. The problem is changing file systems from FAT/NTFS to CDFS, is rarely ever a 1:1 ratio.

This is basically the same issue with changing cluster sizes on HDD. Smaller files than the cluster alloted size will result in lost space, because there can only be one file assigned to any one cluster.
  3. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 4,576   +76

It's called over burning I don't recommend doing so. NERO would allow you too though.
  4. abbasi

abbasi TechSpot Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 281   +11

That link seems to be my answer but it's for XP. You think it's still correct for 7?
  5. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,763   +1,423

Partition structures remain the same between Operating Systems. It is the only way to maintain compatibility fro one OS to another.
    abbasi likes this.
  6. abbasi

abbasi TechSpot Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 281   +11

OK & thank you.
  7. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,415   +281

Like said above, let Nero do the overburn on it and hope for the best. Most modern CD drives are going to be ok reading an overburned disk. I just wouldn't store super valuable data on an overburned disk. Well, I wouldn't store super valuable data on a CD anyway.
  8. misor

misor TechSpot Addict Posts: 966   +147

Try using imageburn, free burning software.
    the available free space for data burning will also include space allocated for data partition table (as I understood it).

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.