Can't burn 681 MB on a CD with 702 MB capacity

abbasi

[FONT=verdana]Hello to all guys here,[/FONT]

[FONT=verdana]I have an erasable CD and it's free (image no.1). When I want to burn some files with 681 MB on that CD, I face an error massage (image no.3) while the capacity of CD is more than that (702MB) and is empty.[/FONT]

[FONT=verdana]What's the problem please?[/FONT]

Attachments

• 1.PNG
    1.PNG
    37.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 2.PNG
    2.PNG
    30.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 3.PNG
    3.PNG
    40.1 KB · Views: 5
Call up image number 2 and look at the "size on disk". That is 732,557,312 folder size vs 736,978,944 capacity on CD. At first glance you would think there is enough space on the CD for the folder. The problem is changing file systems from FAT/NTFS to CDFS, is rarely ever a 1:1 ratio.

This is basically the same issue with changing cluster sizes on HDD. Smaller files than the cluster alloted size will result in lost space, because there can only be one file assigned to any one cluster.

It's called over burning I don't recommend doing so. NERO would allow you too though.

Call up image number 2 and look at the "size on disk". That is 732,557,312 folder size vs 736,978,944 capacity on CD. At first glance you would think there is enough space on the CD for the folder. The problem is changing file systems from FAT/NTFS to CDFS, is rarely ever a 1:1 ratio.

This is basically the same issue with changing cluster sizes on HDD. Smaller files than the cluster alloted size will result in lost space, because there can only be one file assigned to any one cluster.

That link seems to be my answer but it's for XP. You think it's still correct for 7?

Like said above, let Nero do the overburn on it and hope for the best. Most modern CD drives are going to be ok reading an overburned disk. I just wouldn't store super valuable data on an overburned disk. Well, I wouldn't store super valuable data on a CD anyway.

Try using imageburn, free burning software.
the available free space for data burning will also include space allocated for data partition table (as I understood it).

Back