Can't configure my paging file

Status
Not open for further replies.

rscain

Hello,
My first post, so be gentle :angel:

I have a new HP dc5000 PC. The only additions I have made are adding 512 mg of memory (total 1024) and a EMU 0404 soundcard.

No problems until I started installing programs (these are all programs I had on my old pc, they ran fine on it, and I installed them from the discs.)

After installing one particular audio plug in, when I re-started my machine I got the famous "no paging file or paging file too small" message.

I tried to re-configure the paging file, which was set at 0, but every time I do and restart, the file is still set at 0.

I uninstalled the plug in, but no results.

The machine runs fine, but the message bothers me, it's a hassle and it makes me nervous, I'm afraid my brand new pc is gonna implode on me.

I have read as many posts about paging files on these boards as I can, but I haven't seen anyone with this particular problem.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

When you change the page file size from 0 to whatever your want it at. Are you clicking on the set button, followed by apply/ok?

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

howard_hopkinso said:
Hello and welcome to Techspot.

When you change the page file size from 0 to whatever your want it at. Are you clicking on the set button, followed by apply/ok?

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Yes, I've done that several times. Then, after restarting, the file size stays at 0. I've tried "custom size", system managed size", and "no paging file", and it stays the same, as if I'd done nothing.

Very frustrating. :bounce:

howard_hopkinso said:
Try doing a system restore to a point before you installed the plugin.

Hopefully that should work.

Regards Howard :)

Hey, thanks Howard!

That seems to have fixed my problem.

Appreciate it! :bounce:

i had a similar type problem--which is why i did a Google search, and how i got here...forgot that i have an acct------i also have a hp--in fact, 4 hp's running xp---i have gotten very strange 'advice'--but, here's what i did when only one of mine wouldn't let me reset my paging file--i set both 'c' & 'd' to 'no paging file'--clicked reset--ok--apply[if necessary]--ok--, then i went back in and set my 'c' to what i wanted the paging file size to be---reset--ok--apply--ok--restart---and, it worked, but it seems to be different for each machine---but, for me it came down to trial & error[but not anything i couldn't immediately undo/refix easily--i'm a beginner & not very daring]
so, one machine i had to restart to reset
one machine i didn't
one let me do anything i wanted[that scared me]
---all because i added memory to each--anyway, that's my 'story of hp & xp paging file won't let me reset variations'--goodnight & goodluck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back