Cant connect laptop to dvd-rw player

Status
Not open for further replies.
the dvd player has a s-video in and out. I connected it to the in and i still get no picture. I also tried the L1 and L2 channels nothing even channel 3 and 4 on the dvdrw/vhs combo.

Are we talking about an internal optical drive in a standard slot? Is it connected via an EIDE cable or a SATA cable?
Or are we talking about an external optical drive?
Do you have more than one drive? Is the drive jumpered to Master, Slave, or Cable Select?
We need to know more details... brand, model, computer, possibly motherboard.
The problem is likely simple settings, but we need you to tell us more about all your equipment and how it is connected together.

You need to check your display control panel and see if there is an option to turn on that video output.

It appears raybay misunderstood the problem (or perhaps I did, but I don't think so). I see it as you are outputting from your laptop and want to record it on your DVD Recorder/VHS combo player. He sees it as you are connecting a drive somehow to your computer, not even sure he knows its a laptop.

yea he lost me for a bit. I want to connect my laptop to the tv through the dvd player/vhs combo. the dvd player has an input so shouldn't it work.

my sis does something like it with her laptop with the S-out port connected to the S-in on the tv to just show the screen on the tv (with the FN Display keyboard shorcut, example: http://www1.umn.edu/vns/images/vns/conferencing/scando04.jpg and the key might look like this http://www.gabston-howell.org/linux/images/disp.fn.keys.png )

but the dvd to send the image to the laptop throu the s cable i never thought was possible (usb or firewire or line in would make sence to me lol)

(this are not my pics i am not the owner of them, just incase m violating any rules wiht the hotlinks or whtever their called)

you might run into these issues:

> the resolution: some tvs can not handle certain resolutions so make sure u lower it to something common like the 800x600 then move to the resolution u want.
>the ratio: the 16:4 and the 4:3 i think, some laptops are wide screen and the tv is not a wide screen, theres no way around it so just deal with it lol

guide of "how to use the s-video out of your computer"

http://www.svideo.com/compaq1700.html

thanks everyone for the information. I got it to work finally.
All i had to do was use my remote and change my dvd video settings to s-video. lol

justblazin1312 said:
thanks everyone for the information. I got it to work finally.
All i had to do was use my remote and change my dvd video settings to s-video. lol

can we atleast know wht movie u wanted to watch so much? lol

but the dvd to send the image to the laptop throu the s cable i never thought was possible (usb or firewire or line in would make sence to me lol)
(said by deepmartin)

hey i kinda have a similiar problem to what is being mentioned in this thread... i saw u mentioned usb?
basically i want to connect my toshiba laptop to my tv, however my tv does not have a usb port. so my samsung dvd does have a usb port, i thought it will simply connect via that but it ddint :(
can u plzz help me...i wna try and do it through usb cable as that is what i have at hand at the moment. wen i put the usb in my laptop does not identify it and my dvd just says no usb!!

i would appreciate the help ! thnk u

Like Justblazin said, you can't do it that way. The USB port on your DVD player is likely designed to read divx or mpeg1 or mpeg2 files off a FAT32 formatted hard drive or USB stick. USB is not designed to stream a raw stream of video like Firewire is.

Also, next time, just create your own thread, your problem really wasn't that similar to his, and if you wanted you could have just linked to this thread. I'm going to close this one now before it gets any more topics mixed in. If you are still confused somehow, create a new thread and we'll try to help you there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back