TechSpot

1. TechSpot Forums are dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users. Ask a question and give support. Join the community here.
    TechSpot Forums are dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users.
    Ask a question and give support.
    Join the community here, it only takes a minute.
    Dismiss Notice

Can't connect to some websites

By ChrisPC ยท 19 replies
May 16, 2015
Post New Reply
  1. Now that I've gotten my hardware problem out of the way, looks like I have a network problem to deal with. My computer (very specifically, just MY computer) can no connect to certain websites. It's not a lot of them, but it's enough to irritate me. For example, I wanted to try a game called Tera. I downloaded it on Steam and tried to play. Well, not only can I not connect to Tera's website, but I can't connect to their servers either. Anything Tera or enmasse (the company) comes back with a timeout. However, I can access the sites with any other device in my house on the same internet. The program is indeed allowed through the firewall. This is not the only website I have this issue with by the way, it's just the first one that comes to mind. I have no idea what else to check, I'm not good with this sort of thing. Thanks.

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,244   +235

What antivirus/antimalware programs are you running?

3. ChrisPC

ChrisPC TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 33

None at all actually, I'm very particular about what I do so I rarely get viruses. I only use scans, never active protection, and I haven't downloaded any since I recently reinstalled windows.

4. Tmagic650

Let Windows Defender be your protection software. It is a separate download for Windows 7, but it is included as part of Windows 8 and Windows 10. What Internet browser are you using?

5. ChrisPC

I ran some scans with Superantispyware and have bitdefender running now as well, no results. I pinged enmasse.com directly with command prompt, 100% packet loss. I'm completely lost here.

6. ChrisPC

I'm using Google Chrome and have also tried internet explorer, neither could connect.

7. Tmagic650

Might be your ISP or router settings. I can reach enmasse fine and I downloaded Tera... I use Chrome on Windows 10

Last edited: May 16, 2015
  8. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,676   +674

Accessing a website is not the same as playing a web game.
    If you can download the application, then clearly you have access to the site :)

Playing games frequently require you to port-forward in your router to your pc's lan address.
    The game should tell you which ports are necessary in the Requirements.

Mac291 likes this.
  9. Tmagic650

I can play the game from their servers

10. ChrisPC

Hmm.. I'm not good with routers at all,
    Problem is I can neither connect to the games servers nor access their website... I was able to download Tera only through Steam, which is an alternative download method. That's how I know I can't get on that way either.

11. Tmagic650

You replaced the CPU with a lesser one? Did you do a fresh Windows install?

12. ChrisPC

After replacing the CPU? No... Windows automatically recognized it. It is the same type of CPU just a weaker model; from an FX-8350 to an FX-4100. I can't see this having anything to do with my connection issues either...

13. Tmagic650

You might solve this connection problem by installing Windows fresh. As I said in an earlier thread by you, a bad CPU is a rare thing except by poor cooling or handling...

14. ChrisPC

I think it's safe to say it was the CPU at this point, going a good week almost without bluescreens. I just fresh installed windows right before switching the CPU, I would really love to not have to do it again after I finally got some things downloaded. There has to be a more specific solution than the "Idk reinstall Windows I guess" fix-all for software issues. If I have to then so be it, but again, I'd rather wait a little to see if someone has a solution a bit more specific to the problem. As a sidenote, I also can't connect to Twitch.tv.

15. Tmagic650

A CPU is the most important hardware piece of a computer system, just like your brain is to you. If you're willing to live with these "anomalies" so be it...

16. ChrisPC

Excuse me? The only anomalies I'm having are connection-oriented. If you could explain to me how a CPU could cause an issue in which only a select few sites and servers are not able to be connected to I would quite immediately reinstall windows, but as I don't see any logic behind that, I'd rather find the real solution.

17. ChrisPC

Uninstalled and reinstalled Realtek Ethernet drivers. Fixed it.

jobeard likes this.
  18. Tmagic650

Yikes, good work:)

19. ChrisPC

I swear it feels like my computer is just taunting me and making fun of me; I fix a problem and another comes. Well thanks for the help across my two threads. Hopefully I won't be posting any issues for a while. Maybe my apparently unusual solutions can help someone else with the same issues.

Mac291 and Tmagic650 like this.
  20. barbarian1977

barbarian1977 TS Rookie Posts: 25

Yeah, actually driver check usually helps to fix this issue