Can't defrag hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

vhawk

xp says my hd needs defragging but when i try it says it can't be defragmented

anyone know why that might be?

clone what you can then "acroniss true image" then install the new drive that doesnt have a bad sector

Open "My Computer", right click on the drive you are attempting to defragment (presumably the C: drive), click "Properties", click on the "Tools" tab, click "Check Now...", select both of the options there and then click "Start".

My Computer > Right click C: > Properties > Tools > Check Now > Click both options > Start.

After this completes, try to run your Disk Defragmenter again. Let us know how it goes.

0mega9401 said:
clone what you can then "acroniss true image" then install the new drive that doesnt have a bad sector
Bad sectors? That's a huge presumption. How in the world did you jump from 'cannot defrag' to 'your drive is bad, replace it and back up your s#$% using a $50 program'..?

Maybe in the future we can try to diagnose the situation first...

To fix Defrag (not starting)

Run these commands:
regsvr32 dfrgsnap.dll
regsvr32 dfrgui.dll
From Command Prompt in directory c:\windows\system32>

Make sure "DCOM server process launcher" and "logical disk manager"
services are on automatic and running!

find this file:
C:\windows\inf\dfrg.inf
right-click on it and select "install".

I'm wondering if there is a software installed on your computer that is preventing it from defragmenting...

Could you try booting into safe mode? (tap the F8 key until a menu appears JUST before the Windows logo shows on bootup). Run the defragmenter there and see what happens.

You may also want to try the check disk suggestion again, but only from a command prompt. You can do so by going to Start > Run > cmd.exe ...Then type in chkdsk C:\ /R ... follow this by typing "Y" and pressing enter when it asks you if you'd like to do it on reboot and restart your computer.

By the way, this scan will take upwards of a half hour or so as it is looking for bad sectors, as well as logical issues. I don't think this is the issue though.

kimsland said:
To fix Defrag (not starting)

Run these commands:
regsvr32 dfrgsnap.dll
regsvr32 dfrgui.dll
From Command Prompt in directory c:\windows\system32>

Make sure "DCOM server process launcher" and "logical disk manager"
services are on automatic and running!

find this file:
C:\windows\inf\dfrg.inf
right-click on it and select "install".

I'm curious about this. Let us know if it works. I haven't seen this before...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back