Cant delete Limewire shared folder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccala2

Hi folks, Ok so I cant delete the shared folder that is attached to Limewire. I googled and found this website and found a post that describes my exact problem and listed a fix . The problem is I am not very computer savy so I dont understand the part about attaching logs. Can someone help ?

Also I somehow managed to move the shared folder into an empty folder I created on my desktop but still have the same issue , anytime the cursor touches the folder I get a windows explorer error. Please Help. Ccala2

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

First, try uninstalling Limewire and see if that helps. If it doesn`t, go and read this thread HERE and post a HJT log as an attachment into this thread.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

This thread is for the use of ccala2 only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Yes I did unistall Limewire as well as Java . Neither helped. Ok this Hijack thing looks kinda complicated let me see if I can figure it out.

I should have asked you this earlier, but have you tried deleting the folder from safe mode?

Boot into safe mode, under your normal user name(NOT THE ADMINISTRATOR ACCOUNT). See how HERE.

Regards Howard :)

my brother tried safe mode and it didnt work. I got hijack, goingto install/run now.

Did I do it right ?

You could try this utility to delete the folder. It`s usually pretty good.

After looking at your HJT log, I can see you have more problems than just a folder to delete. Your system has been hijacked.

Very Important: Before deciding whether you should clean or reformat your system, go and read this thread HERE and decide what it is you want to do.

If after reading the above, you wish to clean your system, do the following.

Please download FixWareout from one of these sites:
http://downloads.subratam.org/Fixwareout.exe
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/files/lonny/Fixwareout.exe

Save it to your desktop and run it. Click Next, then Install, make sure "Run fixit" is checked and click Finish.
The fix will begin; follow the prompts. You will be asked to reboot your computer; please do so. Your system may take longer than usual to load; this is normal.

Then, go and read the Viruses/Spyware/Malware, preliminary removal instructions. Follow all the instructions exactly.

Post fresh HJT, AVG Antispyware and Combofix logs as attachments into this thread, only after doing the above. Also, please attach the C:\fixwareout\report.txt.

Also, let me know the results of the AVG Antirootkit scan.

This thread is for the use of ccala2 only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

well that sucks but thanks for the heads up. Let me see if I can figure this all out and I will post results. Also can you tell me how I can find " new folder 4" on my desktop to delete with the Delinfile program ? It isnt showing up in the list.

Run the Delinfile programme and click c/documents and settings/your user name/desktop/new folder 4 and follow the instructions.

Ok I found the folder , I renamed the shared folder to BS hoping then maybe I could delete it that way. didnt work. So I then put the BS folder into new folder 4 hoping then maybe I could delete it and that didnt work either. I found the folders in question in the delete file program , it wouldnt let me delete either the BS folder or the New Folder 4 but it did let me delete all the files in them, so now the folder is empty of files. Just an empty folder inside another folder. I tried to restart hoping they might disappear but no such luck and it still causes an error if the cursor touches the folder.

I am goingto go back and read the last message about cleaning system since it was hijacked. any idea how that happened and how to prevent it from happening again ? Also if I follow the instructions will that get rid of the original folder I am having probs with ? Thank you for your help it is greatly appriciated !!!

Let`s get your system cleaned up, then we can make suggestion as to how to keep it that way.

here is the report from fixwareout . I am now going to read and do the virus/spyware/malware page.

I forgot to mention that when I get the windows explorer error and I click on more info it says something to the effect that file
C:\docume~1\owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\d6f5_appcompat.txt will be included in the report. Does that help ? mean anything useful ?

Ok, before doing that, do the following.

Run HJT with no other programmes open. Click the scan button. Have HJT fix the following, by placing a tick in the little box next to(if there).

Fix all 017 entries.

Click on the fix checked button.

Close HJT and reboot your system.

Run HJT again and check to see if the 017 entries are gone. If they are, continue with the rest of the instructions.

Edit: No, that doesn`t help at the moment.

I ran HJT but no 017 showed up . is that good or bad ?
When I ran the AVG Antispyware it found a trojan.DNSChanger.ih . I kept the log and will post. I am starting on step 8 . It is getting close to bed time but I will try to get thru all steps tonight and post the logs. I thank you very much for your help and assistance and hope we can connect tomorrow so I can hear your recommendation after viewing my logs. Thanks again, youe help has been great and easy to understand and follow. Cory

Howard - You are the Man ! I followed all the instructions for all the programs and when I was done with the last one I tried deleting the original problem folder and it let me delete it !!! I have attached all the logs, except for the Rootkit . It didnt find anything so it didnt provide a log . Did we fix the problem ? Are there any other problems that need to be addressed in your opinion after viewing my logs ? Any advice on preventing this from happening again ?

The only other question I have is how do I get my little netscape and explore icons back that were next to the start button on my desktop ? They were kinda handy . Again I greatly appreciate your help and look forward to your feedback. If you ever make it to Denver the beer is on me. Thank You. Cory

I`m pleased to say your system is clean.

You might want to copy and paste these instructions into a notepad file. Then you can have the file open in safe mode, so you can follow the instructions easier.

Boot into safe mode, under your normal user name(NOT THE ADMINISTRATOR ACCOUNT). See how HERE.

In Windows Explorer, turn on "Show all files and folders, including hidden and system". See how HERE.

Locate and delete the following bold files and/or directories(if there).

C:\dnsbak.reg
C:\VundoFix Backups

Reboot into normal mode and rehide your protected OS files.

Turn off system restore.(XP/ME only) See how HERE.

Now, turn system restore back on. This will have deleted all your old restore points and any nasties that are in them. It will also have created a new, clean restore point.

If you have any further virus/spyware problems, please post in this thread.

As for your missing icons, try the following. Right click your taskbar and select toolbars, make sure the quicklaunch toolbar is ticked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back