Can't detect audio device

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hungrymcpie

My computer speakers been acting really strange the last 2 weeks, i havent changed the driver or anything but my computer has just stop detecting my audio device, it detects it for around 30 secs when you boot up the computer, but it disseapears after that. When i go to control panal, sounds and audio device it keeps saying

"No audio device" and when i click on the volum control on the task bar it says " there are no active mixer devices available. to installl mixer devices, go to control panel, click printers and other hardware, and then click add hardware."

so far i have tried uninstalling the driver and reinstalling, reinstalling window xp sp2 tried setting the bios and i have also ran virus, spyware, trojan and registry scans and they cant seem to detact a virus or anything.

my computer runs on a
pentium 4
asus VIA PT800
160gb sata HD
radeon 9600 graphics card

i have been using this computer for around 2 years now and this problem has never happened before. i have no idea how to fix it, the only sounds that it can play is system sounds and clips that you stream off the internet, i cant hear any sounds from movies that i have and media player cant play any sounds as well.

I have the same problem

Except I had sound but I think I had an integrated sound card and I was hearing myself talk into my microphone so I tried installing a driver and it made me loose sound. I installed XP the day after I lost sound so I could not system restore. I have an ASUS CRW 4824A

this is the message that i get when i open volum control:

There are no active mixer devices available. To install mixer device, go to Control Panel, click Printers and Other Hardware, and then click Add Hardware.

my motherboard is a ASUS VIA PT800 and the device driver i got with it worked very well till around a week ago, its a soundmax driver i got with the motherboard CD.

Hungrymcpie said:
so far i have tried uninstalling the driver and reinstalling, reinstalling window xp sp2 tried setting the bios and i have also ran virus, spyware, trojan and registry scans and they cant seem to detact a virus or anything.
I did that already

If you are not using the built in sound card then you need to disable it in your bios, this may well be the root of your problems!!!!

Jourdyn, make sure its enabled in your bios then install the correct driver from either the mobo cd or the asus website!!!!

First off how can I check my BIOS? Because I am pretty sure it is enabled but I really thinks it's a driver problem. When I go to into Add Hardware this comes up
? Multimedia Audio Controller
? SM Bus Controller

Both of those said the drivers were not installed and on the ASUS website I could not find my ASUS CRW 4824A.

In device manager 2 things called ? Multimedia Audio Controler and ? SM Bus Controller are there and I can't update or install the drivers when I click on next and try it do it from the Wizard.

Jourdyn, what asus mobo do you have and it would be better if you started your own thread as your problem isnt quite the same as Hungrymcpie's!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back