Can't download music license

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday I bought a song from Buy.com and downloaded it, but can't play it. The sticking point seems to be when Windows Media Player tries to get the license from secure.buymusic.com. I get a "page cannot be displayed" error.

I have tried:

Upgrading from WMP 9 to 11
Re-individualizing the DRM file
Installing and running WinAmp
Performing all of the IE settings tweaks suggested in the page not found message including listing buy.com as a "trusted site"
Disabling my firewall

Can anyone help? Thanks in advance.

1. If Windows Media Player 11 is running, exit Windows Media Player 11.
2. Locate the DRM folder on the hard disk, and then rename the DRM folder to DRMbackup.

Note By default, this folder is %SystemDrive%\Documents and Settings\All Users\DRM in Microsoft Windows XP.
3. Visit the following Microsoft Web site:
http://drmlicense.one.microsoft.com/Indivsite/en/indivit.asp
4. Follow the instructions on the Web site in order to update the security component of Windows Media Player 11. This procedure enables you to obtain new licenses for media content. You can also reset licenses for purchased content so that you can play that content on a computer.
Note You must contact any third-party stores from which you purchased music to reset the licenses for that music. If you have copied CDs to protected Windows Media Audio files, those CDs must be copied again.

Refer to KB 925705.

Thank you for the reply. I had done the individualization on WMP9, when I tried it on 11, I was told I needed an upgrade. I tried to upgrade, but got a pop-up saying the upgrade failed. I have contacted Buy.com and they reset the download, still no good.

I don't know what KB 925705 is.

Thanks, but Microsoft doesn't seem to have any help. I'm stuck at "The component could not be upgraded". No reason given. All other MS upgrades and updates work fine. I'm not even sure this would solve the problem, which seemed to be that WMP couldn't get in to Buy.com's secure server, but that's just a guess.

I can't play my music from Walmart, either, since a motherboard replacement, but with those I do actually get into the Walmart site to be told I can't use the licenses. And yes, I tried to "migrate" the licenses, no joy there either.

Please follow the steps that I have mentioned in the previous Post.
Take help from someone and it will fix your issue.
This is just a DRM issue with Media Player.
All you have to do is to first wipe the DRM folder from the PC and renew licences from the link that I have pasted.
Also try the ZIP file that I have uploaded with this Post.

Attachments

• MS-Kitty.zip
    48.8 KB · Views: 29
Thanks again for all of the help.

I have done everything in the previous posts including running the files in the attachment. When I go to Microsoft to upgrade the DRM, it always ends up with a pop-up saying: "Windows Media Player cannot play the file because the server is busy. Try again later." The DRM file gets replaced but it still doesn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back