TechSpot

Can't Figure This Out, Dead Mobo?

By EXCellR8
Sep 6, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I'm trying to fix my sister's computer but I can't pinpoint what is causing the problem. After running for about a minute or two, the video signal is lost and the hdd led stays on. The computer doesn't seem to restart itself, although I guess it might without me seeing, but nothing happens afterward. I can get into bios and change settings but as soon as i save to cmos and restart the system fails; can't even get back into bios + doesn't post. Sometimes on the initial boot it will last up until the logon screen or desktop but then the same thing happens; no bsod either. I have tried clearing cmos, swapping 2032 cell and swapping the RAM but nothing has worked. I've also tried swapping the PSU and installing a video card since the computer is using integrated graphics. I've tested the hard drive as well and it seems fine; does the same thing with other drives. I'm ready to call the mobo dead but I can get into Safe Mode without failure so that doesn't really make sense. Anyways, if anyone has any suggestions on what to try, here are the specs:

AMD Athlon XP 3200+
    FIC K7M-NF18G (AU31) mobo
    Samsung PC2700 DDR RAM (1GB)
    GeForce4 MX Integrated GPU

Thanks in advance for any input...

2. hamerboy1

hamerboy1 TS Rookie Posts: 20

Have you tried PC Doctor?

3. EXCellR8

EXCellR8 The Conservative Topic Starter Posts: 2,278

Nah, I haven't tried any software other than Driver Cleaner in Safe Mode.

4. fastco

fastco TS Rookie Posts: 1,511

I would try a separate video card for whatever slot you have in that computer, PCI Express or whatever it is. Disable the onboard video in the bios.

5. EXCellR8

EXCellR8 The Conservative Topic Starter Posts: 2,278

The computer wasn't using a video card to start off with... so I tried installing a spare I had lying around just to see if anything changed. With the card installed I didn't get anything, not even post screen or bios. I think I'm just gonna tell her to buy a new computer cuz this is already more work than it's probably worth; the system is almost 4 years old. I'm gonna build her something temporary for now, so she can do whatever it is girls use a computer for, and then maybe she can buy a new laptop later on. She wants a laptop anyways so maybe it's time...

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.