Can't Figure This Out, Dead Mobo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EXCellR8

I'm trying to fix my sister's computer but I can't pinpoint what is causing the problem. After running for about a minute or two, the video signal is lost and the hdd led stays on. The computer doesn't seem to restart itself, although I guess it might without me seeing, but nothing happens afterward. I can get into bios and change settings but as soon as i save to cmos and restart the system fails; can't even get back into bios + doesn't post. Sometimes on the initial boot it will last up until the logon screen or desktop but then the same thing happens; no bsod either. I have tried clearing cmos, swapping 2032 cell and swapping the RAM but nothing has worked. I've also tried swapping the PSU and installing a video card since the computer is using integrated graphics. I've tested the hard drive as well and it seems fine; does the same thing with other drives. I'm ready to call the mobo dead but I can get into Safe Mode without failure so that doesn't really make sense. Anyways, if anyone has any suggestions on what to try, here are the specs:

AMD Athlon XP 3200+
FIC K7M-NF18G (AU31) mobo
Samsung PC2700 DDR RAM (1GB)
GeForce4 MX Integrated GPU

Thanks in advance for any input...

I would try a separate video card for whatever slot you have in that computer, PCI Express or whatever it is. Disable the onboard video in the bios.

The computer wasn't using a video card to start off with... so I tried installing a spare I had lying around just to see if anything changed. With the card installed I didn't get anything, not even post screen or bios. I think I'm just gonna tell her to buy a new computer cuz this is already more work than it's probably worth; the system is almost 4 years old. I'm gonna build her something temporary for now, so she can do whatever it is girls use a computer for, and then maybe she can buy a new laptop later on. She wants a laptop anyways so maybe it's time...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back