TechSpot

Can't find SATA HDD

By DjKraid
Sep 23, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. Hi!

So I have a little problem...the mobo can't find the sata hdd...it doesn't even recognize
    that it's connected...
    I have also tried to install the RAID controller but that one "can't srat" and the "raid
    utility" (before boot) can't either find anything...

So what to do and how..?

hdd: 2.5", 5400rpm, 160Gb
    mobo: QDI K7V600, 2x SATA, 2x IDE, AGP, Socket A and so on...

2. Punkid

Punkid TS Maniac Posts: 547

check the cables of the hard drive (the power cable and the sata cable) ...try swapping the sata cable, cuz i have a suspicion that the sata cable is the culprit here...

3. DjKraid

DjKraid TS Maniac Topic Starter Posts: 634   +14

I tried with 3 different cables :/

4. Wendig0

Wendig0 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,078   +76

Does the hdd even spool up when the power is turned on?

5. DjKraid

yes and it works in my other computers...SATA is enabled in the bios too...

6. Wendig0

I'm assuming you have tried the other SATA port on the mobo as well? If both your sata ports aren't working, my suspicion is that there is a problem with the mobo itself, and may require a replacement. I'll do a little research and see if I can find any other causes.

7. DjKraid

the mobo has 6 sata ports, my cd/dvd drive works fine in all sata ports...but it doesn't understand how to read a hdd and that's a bit annoying

8. Wendig0

Sorry, your original post threw me off. Still looking into possible causes.

9. DjKraid

xD me and my good writing skills, thinkin about one thing when I'm writing about somethin else...the problematic mobo has 2 ports where the cd drive works but hdd doesn't...my "normal" computer where I test stuff has 6 ports and there everything works fine...

10. Wendig0

Out of curiosity, what do you have connected via IDE? Just to clarify, you mentioned the sata hdd works in other computers, just not this one?

Any other techies have any ideas? I've been working too hard, and I'm stumped.

11. Punkid

Punkid TS Maniac Posts: 547

check the jumpers on your drive, if there are any

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.