Can't get into BIOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

josbd

I have been volunteered to look at a mate's system. System basics are: MSI K7N420 Pro, Athlon XP2100+. The system won't post and I just get a blank screen. I think I know what the problem is, but I need to get into BIOS to adjust it. My problem is: how to get into BIOS in a situation like this. I know I can clear the BIOS back to default by setting the jumpers by the CMOS batt to 2-3 instead of 1-2, but I am sure I have seen other ways of getting BIOS up on screen. I have tried holding down "Insert" on bootup which I am sure is one way, that doesnt seem to work. Any suggestions would be much appreciated! This isn't sheer laziness with a screwdriver, btw, it is more that I know there is another way, and I should like to know what it is!!!

Don't you wish it was all standardised? Depending on the mobo there are different keys I've seen to get in the BIOS. Try using DEL, F1 or even F5. These should be hit just after the system posts. Hope this helps.

completely discharge the CMOS, make sure the power cords and to be safe make sure all cables are disconnected beofre doing so, some mainboards are touchy when you clear them and the soft power is still on. Ive ahve that happen on many occaisions. check your manual for special post keys, some BIOS's use the scroll lock or insert key to enter the BIOS if you set the fsb or other timing settings higher than the board will accept with the current hardware.

If you are getting a blank screen then what would you do in BIOS if you can't see a thing?

Heheh, very good point indeed! Well, clearing the CMOS did the trick...... laziness does NOT work...

Thanks all for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back