Can't get past Windows screen

By edward7458
Jun 27, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I ran a registery fixer on my system and now I can't get past the windows screen. It goes blank after the initial window wp. I tried the window system disk, but when I get to the screen to reload windows, the "R" optin is not there and the only option that I have is to do a fresh install. I need to get my data off before I do that. Is there a likely fix in the restore mode? I tried the bootfix command. Can I copy my files in the restore mode with a DOS command to a USB 160 GB hard drive that I happen to have? The registry optimizer was Advanced SYstem Optimizer. I've ran it before with no problems.

I hope someone has some suggestions!!
  2. robin_bga

robin_bga Newcomer, in training Posts: 258

I really don't get what u mean by u can't find the r option, put it the windows installation cd, the let it run, and when it reach the option of pressing ENTER, press it, it will ask u to press F8, the after that it will scan for existing OS(es), then after that u can press 'R'.That is a way of repairing the os.
    And am sure it will work.
    Wish u luck. Robin
  3. edward7458

edward7458 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

reply to Robin

Hi, thanks for the reply. When I try to get to the R option, it does not appear. There is only the option to load windons new and some info on partitioning. What you are suggesting is exactly what I was intending to do. I ran the R (its on the second screen just after you accept the terms with an F8) a few days ago but the computer still gave many error messages (supspooler app error, needs to close was the main one). Also, I couldn't download SP2 - it took forwever. I was getting ready to save all my files and reinstall windons completely new. However, now I can't get to my files. When I run dir in dos, I still have the same amount of info on the disk, so I think my files are still OK.
    hen i looked for R only to remove my files, it did not appear.
    Thanks
  4. Mamut0o1

Mamut0o1 Newcomer, in training Posts: 79

Hello Edward;

An easy way to save your files to an exteral USB hard drive would be to run Knoppix Live CD. This is a linux live version that runs from a cd, you dont need to install it to run it. Boot your PC using Knoppix and from there copy all your files of your local Drive.
    I hope that helps.

Mamut
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.