Can't get rid of earlier version of MSN Messenger

By John Staerck
Apr 12, 2006
  1. My XP system was delivered with MSN Messenger 4.x. I have recently upgraded to Messenger 7.5 which seems to work fine as long as I activate it. If another contact activates it then the old 4.x version pops up and remains in the system tray. Control Panel->Add/Remove Programs shows only MSN Messenger 7.5.

Thanks for any advice.
  2. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 24,177   +19

Take a look HERE. It might help.

Regards Howard :)
  3. John Staerck

John Staerck TS Rookie Topic Starter

Hello Howard,

Thanks for the pointer, but unfortunately it did not work (even after a re-boot). BTW My sysoc.inf file was found in C:\i386

I think Outlook may have something to do with the problem. I did not notice it at first because I normally work with the task bar on auto-hide, but when I start Outlook the Messenger 7.5 icon appears in the system tray with a small x in it, it then quickly disappears to be replaced by the Messenger 4.x icon. I have downloaded the latest Microsoft Office Updates (which included an Outlook update) but still no joy.

Regards John

p.s. I have fleshed out my system profile aas recommended.
  4. John Staerck

John Staerck TS Rookie Topic Starter

Answered my own question. Messenger 4.7 was lurking in the Windows Components sub-section of Control Panel->add/remove Programs.
  5. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 24,177   +19

Glad your problem is solved.

Thanks for your feedback.

Regards Howard :)
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.