Can't get to the desktop, computer automatically restarts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum and I am really desperate. I have winxp and when I turn on the computer, before i can even get to my log on screen, the computer shuts on and off again and does this repeatedly untill I just manually shut it off. When I first turn it on tho, there is a black screen prompting me to boot in safe mode, or last known good configuration, etc, I have tried them all and the computer still does the same thing.

Any suggestions as to what may be problem and what should I do?

Thanks

Hi

Have you tried booting to command line and running scandisk? You may have a bad or corrupt sector on your drive! If that does not work it might be worth rebuilding the MBR.

Regards

Martyn

hi, martyn

Thanks for the response Martyn, but I cant even get to a command line. What is a MBR? It will not boot to anything.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

I would suggest that you do a repair of Windows.

Please see HERE for instructions on how best to repair Windows.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

MBR Stands for "Master Boot Record"

I agree with Howard a rebuild/new install of windows would most proberly be you best option. I would make your first job after getting in to Windows is to make a ASR (Automated System Recovery) Disk...

Regards

Martyn

Thanks all

I basically get the same obtions when I press F8, to boot in safe mode, safe mode with networking, recovery, etc......I've tried them all and still it shuts down and starts again before I can even log on. I am thinking maybe I do have to rebuild the MBR, or I was reading other posts about checking a power supply, do anyone think that could be a possible problem? If so, how do I do that? And by the way, I'm really in bad shape cuz I just went to check for my xp Cd and gueess what? I dont have it!!!! Omigod!!! What should I do now? Cant find it anywhere? Could I borrow someone else's?

You can borrow another winxp cd and use it if it is the same home edition, pro, or office. Better to borrow the cd because if you buy a new winxp cd the
cd may not have a chance to start- you can learn that for free if you borrow a winxp cd. If the winxp cd starts, go for "check startup environment". If that
does solve the problem, select repair when asked if you want a new install of windows or repair. If the repair does not solve the problem, you can choose a new install of windows, but you may be charged for that- a Visa or Mastercard credit card is needed before proceeding with the new install of windows. I have been charged two times- $175 and $167.

Will the computer boot to a bootable floppy?
You can (or have someone) download Setup boot disks from Microsoft.
They are intended to be used to setup Windows XP on systems that don't boot to CD ROMs but they can be used to gain access to you system for repairs.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310994

Borrow a Windows XP CD and install the Recovery Console onto your system.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307654

Then you might be able to use the advice in this article to repair your system.
http://www.tunexp.com/faqs/windows_xp_crashed_heres_help/

Or use the link howard_hopkinso provided.

thanks!

Just wanted to say thanks to all who've wrote in to help me. I just reinstalled wxp and for now the computer is working fine. will definitely be back to report any more problems!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back