Can't get wireless router/computer to function together

Hi, before i start I am not very computer savy. I am able to follow directions and learn fairly quickly, so please be patient.
Our family recently switched our internet services from comcast to at&t (cheaper/faster). I spent several hours working on getting the router/modem to work.
I started out on our main desk-top computer where everything is. I connected my modem to the router and then the router to the PC tower Ethernet Port. It told me i did it wrong, so i went back and just put the modem directly into the ethernet port (it is a DSL modem). I got it working and asked some one from the at&t chat area tech support how to set my router up. Then they told me i had to go to my modems IP adress and change PPP setting to the computer/router setting, and that messed everything up. this is where i spend the majority of my time lastnight trying to undo everything i did. Well now i have my modem and router hooked up just fine (and properly, turns ou I did do it properly the first time around) and I think i have undone the PPP adress but im not sure.
but now when i try and connect my laptop wirelessly i get the "local only" connection and i cant acess the internet. I have gotten a "network error" that pops up and says the following:
"Another computer on this network has the same IP address as this computer. Contact your network administrator for help resloving this issue. More details are available in the Windows System event log"

I have contacted at&t again, they walked me through how to make sure my DNS and IP address were aquired automaticly (they are and were). And then they told me it was a computer setting issue and they couldnt help me (but thier expert 15$ a month tech support could).

I have an Acer Aspire 5335, Running Vista Basic 32-bitOS, with an Intell(R) CPU.
the desktop everything is connected to is an Emachines ET1641-02w, running Windows vista home premioum 32 bit OS.
My modem is a Motorola "style: MSTATEA"
and my router is a Cisco Wireless G broadband router with power boost by Linksys
I have at&t DSL service the second option im not sure what its called, it is the second fastest one they offer.
and my modem/computer/router set up is currently:
Ethernet Port 1: Ethernet port from router to desk top computer
Ethernet Port2: Ethernet port from router to modem
Green Phone line from Modem to phone jack.

I was looking at the at&t website lastnight about 3rd party routers and it said that for a linksys router i had to plug the modem directly into the "internet" port on my router, i tried that and i was unable to get internet?
And i have noticed that when i turn the desktop PC off the "internet" light on my modem goes off what does this mean?

I'm sorry this is so long im not really sure how much information to give.
I hope it is in the right place, if it is not I apologise.

well - - - you need to first simplify (remove the router), get it running, and then add the router back in.

MODEM ACCESS
ADSL is picky and the PPP stuff will have to be solved with the AT&T support
(which is why we drop the router for now). When the modem=>PC (using a wired connection) can connect,
ask the support person
"Does your network use hardware provisioning, or the MAC address, to validate the connection?"​
I believe all ADSL will do so.

The hardware provisioning(HP) means we will need your NIC's value.
get a command prompt (start->run->cmd) and while connected to the Internet, enter ipconfig /all
now look for:
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : AA-BB-CC-DD-EE-FF . . . (Z)
write it down.
While we have a working network, run the examples shown here so
that when we get to the next step, you will have experience in testing this stuff.

ROUTER ACCESS
Disconnect the PC from the MODEM and use that cable to attach to a LAN slot on the router.
The Modem connects to the WAN slot on the router.

I need the make+model number of your Cisco router to give you specific instructions on
where to insert the MAC address we found above at (Z)

My Netgear shows & sets this as Router Mac Address; (*) use this address [the value (z)]

Some others show Masquerade as this address [the value (z)]

Save the settings which should close your browser.
Now disconnect the power from the router, wait 30 seconds, and reapply power.
Wait another 30 seconds, and attempt this test
get that command prompt again (start->run->cmd) and enter
nslookup 8.8.8.8​
If you get back

Name: google-public-dns-a.google.com
Address: 8.8.8.8​
you're good to go!!

Thank you for the help and i connected the modem directly to the computer like you said. And i was able to get intouch with at&t support and was told "Provisioning is usually done at the Central Office through a certain software tool, Not at the hardware side of the modem. The answer is no"
I asked her the question (copy and pasted) that you posted. Now does this change anything i need to do? or should i continue on and do all of the listed steps? After she answered me "No" i havent done anything further.

yea right :giggle: Assuming that you now have a connection that is working,
please follow-up with the make+model of your router . . . and while connected,
add the following:
get the command prompt (start->run->cmd) and enter ipconfig /all >myTCP.txt
go to My Documents and you will find myTCP.txt. Open it and COPY all the content.
Come back to this thread, PASTE into your reply and I'll give you more ....

Router:
Cisco Wireless G Broadband Router with speed boster Model No: WRT54Gs2 V1

I went to start>run>typed in cmd> hit enter>a black box came up i typed in what you told me.. nothing happened. did i do something wrong?

I am connected to the internet on the main desktop computer (emachines) with the Modem eithernet cord going directly into the tower ethernet port, my router is still unhooked and powered down

I went to start>run>typed in cmd> hit enter>a black box came up i typed in what you told me.. nothing happened. did i do something wrong?
the data is in My Documents\myTCP.txt open this file, COPY the content and reply again ...
meanwhile, I'll the the router's user's Guide ...

(AA)
in your browser where we place the URL, enter 192.168.1.1 and hit ENTER
you get a request for User / Password

Leave the User <blank>
Password = admin

Go to Setup > MAC Address Clone tab
(*) Enable
enter the MAC address we captured
click SAVE SETTINGS at the bottom​

Go to Setup -> Setup
change MTU 1500 to 1492

make sure DHCP (*) Enabled
SAVE SETTINGS​

Go to Setup -> Administration
change and confirm a new password
(suggest prepending rt- to your PC login password; rt- is shorthand for router :) )
write down whatever you choose and when you
SAVE SETTINGS
you will lose the connection to the router
and need to start at (AA) above​

power off the router; wait 30 seconds; power on.
wait 30 more seconds, test your modem->router->pc status with
nslookup 8.8.8.8

Now you're ready to configure the WiFi side ....

Ok i have the TCP stuff here it is:
Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : GaryJones-PC
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8101E Family PCI-E Fast Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.0)
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-21-97-32-B3-6E
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::b1d8:de1f:2831:660b%10(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.64(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, March 23, 2011 11:56:46 AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, March 24, 2011 11:56:45 AM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 6:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : isatap.{90532759-385A-4506-B401-521484F967F8}
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 11:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 02-00-54-55-4E-01
IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:4137:9e76:106f:2bdf:3f57:febf(Preferred)
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::106f:2bdf:3f57:febf%11(Preferred)
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : ::
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

I copy/pasted the router thing like you said and it couldnt open a webpage (it took me to the YAHOO!search page)

GOT IT!!! Disable IPv6 in vista. This is MS kb929852

Click Start
Collapse this imageExpand this image
Start button
, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then click regedit.exe in the Programs list.​
In the User Account Control dialog box, click Continue.​
In Registry Editor, locate and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip6\Parameters\​
4. Double-click DisabledComponents to modify the DisabledComponents entry.

Note If the DisabledComponents entry is unavailable, you must create it. To do this, follow these steps:
1. In the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD (32-bit) Value.
2. Type DisabledComponents, and then press ENTER.
3. Double-click DisabledComponents.
5. Type any one of the following values to configure the IPv6 protocol, and then click OK:​
1. Type 0 to enable all IPv6 components.

Note The value "0" is the default setting.
2. Type 0xffffffff to disable all IPv6 components, except the IPv6 loopback interface. This value also configures Windows Vista to use Internet Protocol version 4 (IPv4) instead of IPv6 in prefix policies.interface.​

bum instructions;

find the DisabledComponents and double-click on it
(*) the Hex choice
and enter eight F's (lower case is fine)
click OK
quit REGEDIT

Reboot the system

try nslookup 8.8.8.8 to test . . .

ok when i typed in nslookup 8.8.8.8 (space included) i got back the following:

C:\Users\grandmothersname>nslookup 8.8.8.8
DNS request timed out.
time out was 2seconds
Server:unknown
Adress: (my ipaddress)
adress 8.8.8.8
now can i hook up my router? what do i do? do i need to disable ivp6 on both mine and my brothers laptops? have i fixed it?
remembver i was never able to go to the ip adress for my router, it wouldnt load so i have done nothing for my router

ok
my router and modem are hooked up.
my grandmothers desktop computer has internet.
on my brothers laptop (Hewlett-Packard, HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook PC, Inell Core i3 cpu, 64 Bit Windows 7 OS) is now picking up signal but it does the following:
I can see the name of the network and click to connect, and once it connects it says Currently Connectred To: Unidentified network and this keeps repeating under it: no network access, internet access, and sometimes it says the name of our networkfor a split second.

On my Acer Aspire laptop (see specs above) i see:
the name of my network, when i go to connect it tells me to press the configureatoin button on the access point bfore continueing i get the IP adress stuff on both my and my brothers laptops (as mentioned in my first post) and i still only have local only and it says Unidentifed network (and then in parenthasis my networks name)
a friend (who is a computer person) helped me figgure out the reason it isnt connecting to the internet ALL of the computers are trying to use the SAME IP address, When i try "ipconfig /renew" with IPv6 disabled (yes i disabled it on my vista pc) i get the following message: Windows IP Configuration
An error occured while renewing interface Wirelss Network Connection : The DHCP client has obtained an IP adress that is already in us on the network. The local interface will be disabled untill the DHCP lient can obtain a new adress.
No operation can be performed on Local Area Connection while it has its media disconnected

this is on My Acer Aspire windows vista Laptop
do i need to disable the IPv6 on mine and my brothers laptop? i have changed only the IPv6 on my grandmothers, and i have changed all of the things i was instructed tochange in the router admin page.

ok when i typed in nslookup 8.8.8.8 (space included) i got back the following:

C:\Users\grandmothersname>nslookup 8.8.8.8
DNS request timed out.
time out was 2seconds

Server:unknown
Adress: (my ipaddress)
adress 8.8.8.8
OK! the timeout is on the first DNS address shown in ipconfig /all
and it would be helpful if you would redo that and past the new data after disabling the IPv6 :)
now can i hook up my router? what do i do? do i need to disable ivp6 on both mine and my brothers laptops? have i fixed it?
it would appear fixed, but let me see the config data ..;

All Linksys (ie Cisco) routers are broken on IPv6, so yes, all Vista and Win/7 systems connected to Linksys need to have IPv6 disabled
remembver i was never able to go to the ip adress for my router, it wouldnt load so i have done nothing for my router
we need to fix this - - I'll respond to the post following ...

ok joe you seemed to have totaly ignored my last post from lastnight, and after i disabled ivp6 i was able to access my router, i did everything you told me to do before (on the main desktop)
here is my new ipconfig all

Windows IP Configuration

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8101E Family PCI-E Fast Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.0)
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, March 24, 2011 12:01:49 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Friday, March 25, 2011 12:01:48 PM

OK! the timeout is on the first DNS address shown in ipconfig /all
and it would be helpful if you would redo that and past the new data after disabling the IPv6 :) it would appear fixed, but let me see the config data ..;

All Linksys (ie Cisco) routers are broken on IPv6, so yes, all Vista and Win/7 systems connected to Linksys need to have IPv6 disabled we need to fix this - - I'll respond to the post following ...

The timeout was taken after IPv6 was disabled i just did it again and got the same thing.

ok IPv6 on my vista laptop is disabled but i dont know how to do this on a eindows seven (and it will have to wait untill the owner and teh laptop get home from school)

the config data is above, and i (in a different post) said i was able to acess my routers IP adress and make the changes. i even chagned the name of my network (on the advice of a friend)

a friend (who is a computer person) helped me figgure out the reason it isnt connecting to the internet ALL of the computers are trying to use the SAME IP address, When i try "ipconfig /renew" with IPv6 disabled (yes i disabled it on my vista pc) i get the following message: Windows IP Configuration
An error occured while renewing interface Wirelss Network Connection : The DHCP client has obtained an IP adress that is already in us on the network. The local interface will be disabled untill the DHCP lient can obtain a new adress.
No operation can be performed on Local Area Connection while it has its media disconnected
Duplicate IP addresses are created when someone attempts to configure the TCP settings manually and then the DHCP service attempts to assign that same address (it didn't use it before and didn't see it being used). This is a human error and not all that uncomon.

The fix is simple; ALL pcs should use DHCP automatic assignment for IP and DNS settings.
access the Control Panel
launch Network Connections
Fix both the Local Area Connection and the Wireless Network connection (if any is shown) like this:
right-click on the Local Area
on the General Tab there is a slider; scroll to the bottom and select TCP/IP
now click the Property button
a new window comes, on the General TAB (*) both choices for Obtain IP and DSN
click the Alternate Configuration TAB
(*) Automatic Private
click OK to close this window
click OK to close the next window
-----
do this again for the Wireless
Once again we need to disconnect from your Internet
(a) disconnect the cable [or close the Wifi], wait 30 seconds, and then reconnect
OR
(b) perform the router shutdown, restart like we haved done before

It is rare that you would really need to manually configure - - that's called a static ip address and I'll defer that for now
this is on My Acer Aspire windows vista Laptop
do i need to disable the IPv6 on mine and my brothers laptop?
answered above - - YES
i have changed only the IPv6 on my grandmothers, and i have changed all of the things i was instructed tochange in the router admin page.
get all system on DHCP and your browsers able to access google.com

We'll proceed from there . . .

ok joe you seemed to have totaly ignored my last post from lastnight, ...
yes, I'll take your post in sequence and explain as I go so you can get better ideas as to what change gives you which result.

The config data here is what I expected
Windows IP Configuration

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, March 24, 2011 12:01:49 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Friday, March 25, 2011 12:01:48 PM
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled​

Btw: too many cooks will spoil the brooth - - If you mix my efforts here with your buddy, then your buddy will need to start posting that change in detail or we will just step all over your system and you'll have a mess. You've already come a long way so let's walk slowly :)

The fix is simple; ALL pcs should use DHCP automatic assignment for IP and DNS settings.
access the Control Panel
launch Network Connections
Fix both the Local Area Connection and the Wireless Network connection (if any is shown) like this:
right-click on the Local Area
on the General Tab there is a slider; scroll to the bottom and select TCP/IP
now click the Property button
a new window comes, on the General TAB (*) both choices for Obtain IP and DSN
click the Alternate Configuration TAB
(*) Automatic Private
click OK to close this window
click OK to close the next window

On both the main desktop when i click both local and wirless connections TCP/IPv4 the settings for all of them are to obtain everything automaticly. They have been that way from square one. do i still need to reboot my router/modem?​

The timeout was taken after IPv6 was disabled i just did it again and got the same thing.
Of couse - - the timeout is due to the DNS setting, not the one you see here, which is your router's address, but the one on the WAN side of the router, ie the ones sent to your modem by your ISP - - deal with later (at least one IS working)

ok IPv6 on my vista laptop is disabled but i dont know how to do this on a windows seven (and it will have to wait untill the owner and teh laptop get home from school)
you can google for the fix on Win/7 "disable ipv6 windows 7"
but if that's not YOUR system, then let the owner see the win/7 fix and do the work for him/herself :)
the config data is above, and i (in a different post) said i was able to acess my routers IP adress and make the changes. i even chagned the name of my network (on the advice of a friend)
GREAT! I assume you mean the WORKGROUP name?? or did you change the SSID? We have yet to config the WiFi side.

one step at a time. Please confirm the wired side is working, you can use email and your browser - -

ok i think we have something confused in the cross hairs here. I am on the main dekstop. the internet works, quite well i've used it alot in the last day.

the set up is now:
eithernet cord one: from router to pc
ethernet cord two: from modem to router

still no ineternet on the laptop

main dekstop vs laptop (hmm) I can only hope the config data you've shown is for the laptop - - why would you report other data -- (never mind).
the set up is now:
eithernet cord one: from router to pc

still no ineternet on the laptop
as you note, we may have crossed or hands, so let's be perfectly clear - - you mean
the set up is now:
eithernet cord one: from router to LAPTOP

and still no ineternet on the laptop​
if so, then I need the ipconfig /all data while the laptop is connected to the router (even if it has no connection).

Did you verify the laptop network device is running?

right-click My Computer->manage->Device Manager
click on the [+] Network Adapters to see them
?are any shown with yellow or red marks?

main dekstop vs laptop (hmm) I can only hope the config data you've shown is for the laptop - - why would you report other data -- (never mind). as you note, we may have crossed or hands, so let's be perfectly clear - - you mean
the set up is now:
eithernet cord one: from router to LAPTOP

and still no ineternet on the laptop​
if so, then I need the ipconfig /all data while the laptop is connected to the router (even if it has no connection).

Did you verify the laptop network device is running?

right-click My Computer->manage->Device Manager
click on the [+] Network Adapters to see them
?are any shown with yellow or red marks?
ok 1. all the information in this thread concerning config data has been for the desktop (untill now) here is mine for my laptop:
Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Nance-PC
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Peer-Peer

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Ralink 802.11n Wireless LAN Card
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-24-2B-33-C4-B6
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::887c:887e:3018:2302%11(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.101(Preferred)
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, March 24, 2011 12:06:01 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Friday, March 25, 2011 12:06:01 PM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 201335851
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-10-F5-BC-CC-00-1D-72-F0-E0-AD
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Generic Marvell Yukon 88E8071 based Ethernet Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1D-72-F0-E0-AD
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::7559:e9b7:ee40:4d98%10(Preferred)
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, March 24, 2011 1:39:49 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Friday, March 25, 2011 1:39:49 PM
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 234888562
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-10-F5-BC-CC-00-1D-72-F0-E0-AD

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 6:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : isatap.{15A29B61-5104-42C5-AE3D-740B9345AA2C}

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 7:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 02-00-54-55-4E-01
IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:4137:9e76:2834:3e85:b54f:a35a(Preferred)
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::2834:3e85:b54f:a35a%13(Preferred)
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : ::
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 11:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : isatap.{133AEB43-AC66-4377-A471-7D6C57B7E144}

"right click my computer..." No red or yellow marks.
I have fixed my set up and it is now set up so that the router ethernet>Laptop Ethernet port and i have internet on the laptop.

Back