TechSpot

cant install any OS

By Tijwuc
Mar 6, 2007
  1. I have finaly pulled together all the parts i needed to build my rig, however, i went to install windows and after formating completed i recieved a message saying my harddrive was swtiched or unplugged or damaged. I have two hard drives, i tried installing both windows XP and 2k on both of them, and i dabbled in linux but i didnt understand it and i prefer windows. My one hardrive is brand new and im positive it isnt damaged, so i dont think thats a problem. I've looked in a few places and tried various settings and checked my jumpers and no luck. Any suggestions?

2. alidabiri

alidabiri TS Rookie Posts: 441

it looks like you don't have a partitions set up on the hdd.
    try this.
    1 - get a win 98 boot disk from www.bootdisk.com
    2 - in your bios set it to start from floppy first
    3 - start your machine with 98 boot disk
    4 - after start, choose "start windows with cd-rom support.
    5 - at the command prompt, enter you cd-rom drive letter followed by colon:
    c: is your hard drive, d: is ram deive and e: is your cd drive for now.
    6 - navigate to I386 folder on the cdrom
    7 - enter winnt.exe
    this will start windows xp install process.

3. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

Well, your hard drive could indeed be bad! Your "positive" is not enough really. Run the manufacturer diagnostics utility on it.

Also, test your RAM with memtest86(+).

4. Sjbrand99

Sjbrand99 Banned Posts: 260

Nodsu, just wondering this, Tijwuc might, but how would he go about doing the manufacturer diagnosis on it> And could he run memtest from a floppy or a disk?

5. zipperman

zipperman TS Rookie Posts: 1,179   +7

Windows version is XP,right ?

Do you have your bios sequence set properly ?
    W98 and XP are way different.No boot disk for XP.
    Just a full version cd in the start drive set in the bios as first.

6. Tijwuc

Tijwuc TS Rookie Topic Starter

all good ideas guys, thanks, but im in a weird in between stage where i cant boot windows because ill get a blue screen of death most likely because i changed motheroboards, so running any diagnostics is probabley not possible...i also concluded i cant install XP after all because its a dell OS disc with drivers ect. so im going to use windows 2k. I have had this motherboard running before but switched back to my dell...but after buying a case i could use this motherboard. So, seeing as how it did work once upon a time, i see no reason as to why it wont now and im getting pretty frustrated and am most likely going to scrap it and just settle for dell's garbage.:(

7. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

All the diagnostics utilities are bootable from a floppy or a CD (which you would easily see if you bothered to look up the things). It would be rather silly to require a working hard drive to do hard drive diagnostics, wouldn't it? :p

A nice all-in-one package here: http://www.ultimatebootcd.com

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.