Can't install new printer on Server 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings! This may be really dumb and I feel foolish asking for help with this problem. I'm installing a printer on a Windows 2003 enterprise server. Using ADD PRINTER I get to the HAVE DISK point. I have a disk with the driver on it and the root directory contains the file AUTORUN.INF. When I use it windows ignores it. I can't figure out a workaround for this and have no idea why windows can't see the new driver. Any help is much appreciated.

autorun.inf files do not contain any driver information. You either have to look for the proper .inf file somewhere deeper or run the setup program from the driver disk.

Also, it is always a good idea to download the latest driver from the internet instead of using the hopelessly dated drivers provided on CDs.

You got to point to the driver folder on the CD. Don't use autorun. I always bypass that and use the Open command to look around the CD. Then use setup.exe or setup.msi instead. Nodsu is right though you should go to the printer manufacturer and get the latest printer driver.

Yes. I have tried running setup from the disk and just tried it again. Setup bombs. It's an HP printer and driver. Perhaps I should contact them. Thank you for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back