Can't install nvidia drivers after XP sp2 upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

dirkgrave

I' ve upgraded my system with XP Sp2 and now the nvidia drivers (66.93) are gone. now windows is working with the default drivers. no matter how much i've tried to install nvidia's drivers when i reboot nothin happens. i' ve tried to install them in safe mode, but no response.

MSI KT6
NVIDIA FX5200 128
1 GB RAM

sorry. yes i can finish the install, and it tells me to reboot. but when windows starts again nothin happens. the generic driver is still installed.

When you do to "Add/Remove" in Control Panel, do you see the drivers listed? If so, download Driver Cleaner and install it. Then uninstall your drivers, and when it asks you to reboot, reboot into safe mode, and run "Driver Cleaner". Be sure and read the instructions, but basically, here's what to do. First run "Cab Cleaner", then run "Driver Cleaner", after choosing nVidia drivers. But, again, be sure and read the instructions. A tip, Cab Cleaner will take a while so be patient, driver cleaner will be faster.

After doing this, reboot and try installing your drivers again. I don't know if this will solve your problem, but it's worth a try. Let us know how it goes.

thanks. but didn't work.
driver cleaner worked just fine then i rebooted. but after I installed the nvidia drivers and reboot again, nothing happened. still the generic driver.
i have tried the 66.93 version from nvidia site and the 66.81 version from msi.
one thing i've noticed it's that in the device manager list, there is no display adapter item.

can't uninstall sp2. i've tried 3 ways.
1-add remove programs
2- manual (spuninst.exe)
3- system restore.

i think i'll format.

thanks.

registry hack

just rip everything in the registry to do with nVidia OUT!

search and remove.

reboot

reinstall.

alternatively, reinstall SP2.....

or just start afresh

over to you columbo

Having the same problem??

I am haveing the same problem as dirkgrave. I did a format and a reinstall with XP Pro and reinstall the nvidia drivers, that didn't work. I also did this before installing SP2. I also tryed the drivers that came with the card and it also didn't work. Still have the black screen. Can anyone help????

ABIT KD7-S
Geforce 5600 256MB
512MB RAM

ho hum

Uninstall any software you have already installed for the card.

Do you have an onboard graphics card ? if so, disable it in the BIOS.

If the drivers you have are zipped, unpack the files to your hard disk.

Once you've done that, remove ANY instance of a graphics card/display adapters from Device Manager and reboot your machine.

Windows should then prompt you to install new hardware. If it doesn't, run Add New Hardware from Control Panel.

When Windows asks for the drivers, point it to where you unpacked your files (or to the CD drive) and let it use just the .ini and .inf files. Dont bother with any fancy suite that may have come with the CD/card.

If all else fails, try this free software that will test your card for faults:

http://www.freshdevices.com/test_graphics_card.html

It's not 100% great for testing these sorts of problems, but it's worth a try.

let us know how you get on.....

feedback

I don't have a built in video card, and I checked my system with that program and it didn't find anything wrong. Tryed installing the driver again with windows finding it and that also didn't work. Does any one else have any ideas short of buying another video card???

I get back on by putting in an older video card that I have.

maybe it's just a faulty card? do you have any other machines you could install it on...just to test it ? or just take it back and get another.........

similar problem

Something similar happened to me...I recently installed SP2, but that doesn't seem to have caused trouble.

But then I installed new memory, and ever since then, my graphics card doesn't work at all in XP.

It is definitely there....whenever I switch on, it's name flashes up and I get the add hardware wizard. But it never allows me to install any drivers. Each time I try (and I've tried several) I get a "bad data" message. So the card is just running the generic driver.

The odd thing, though, is that the card is not showing up on device manager or dxdiag. Though there IS a yellow question-marked VGA device under other devices which, it says, is not configured properly.

I tried with 2 different cards, and get the same problem each time.

I also ran Driver Cleaner.

If any of you smart people can help, I'd be very grateful! Please??!!!

:giddy:

I'm not very smart, but..... Did you totally install new memory? Or just add some more?

In Device Manager, on your sound card, when you right click on it and look at "Properties", does it show you card "enabled"?

You could try putting your old memory back in and see if that works, that would narrow it down.

No kidding???? SP2 disables the AGP? Then there must be zillions of people out there whose computers are screwed up. Or is there a fix?

Thanks to anyone who can shed loight on this!

c

Hi everybody!

I have the same problem. I didn't know why my video drivers disappear until I read these posts.

Every thing started to go wrong since I install SP2.

I'll try some of yours solutions, and I'll write again with the results.

Thanks in advanced.

Nosdok

clarendon said:
No kidding???? SP2 disables the AGP? Then there must be zillions of people out there whose computers are screwed up. Or is there a fix?

Thanks to anyone who can shed loight on this!

c

Hey, Im one of them.... :bounce: :

HI following the advise from the thread i ran regfirstaid to find all nvidia entrys.

selected all and deleted

it left me 8 entrys marked as no permission to delete, went to regedit and tried to delete ther found there was an error prosessing reg key.

went to windows repair copied the system file, went to system32\config backed up the system file then replaced it with copied file.

after reboot i was back to pre driver instalation had to install 5 drivers nvidia included. rebooted working fine went back to system32\config deleted backup system file copied system file went back to windows repair and replaced the system file with new after driver install file. rebooted again still good had to reinstall fax service and anti virus ,printers an acrobat 5 total time 20 miniutes

AGP and XP's SP2

I have an NVIDIA GeForce 5600 installed in the AGP bay of my K7S5A mobo connected to an IBM T55D digitial only monitor. I recently installed XP and just very recently SP2. Prior to that I ran the IBM supplied Matrox MGA 200 Millenium card in Windows 98e an never got an image in post and boot. Finally that card just seemed to die altho I'm not convinced it's actually dead. But I bought the above card with a dongle from DVI to the monitor's VESA P&D interface.
I recently partitioned my drive and installed Fedora 3.0 and my T55D quit working. I could connect an old VGA monitor to the NVIDIA VGA port and get a picture but DVI-D was a no go. I figured if I reinstalled the NVIDA video driver things might change. From then on any attemp to install the card in the AGP slot and I couldn't get through post and boot. I tried the old MGA card and the same thing. An old VGA card in PCI worked. Finally I updated the AGP driver for the SIS chipset and that resolved the problem of getting the NVIDIA card recognized and a display on the T55D once the OS loaded. I still can't get an image during post and boot which makes me wonder how I'm going to manage choosing between which OS I want to load. Other forums have suggested updating the K7S5A BIOS but with the caveat that that's a tricky bit of business. Any suggestions?

Guess What

Had the same problem only to find out that it was an IRQ problem. Xp assigns IRQs and will not let you change them. My new card required a setting of 11 which was already in use and could not be changed thanks to XP Pro. Check your settings. This may answer your question. Marv. :hotbounce

gleno

BlutoniumBoy said:
Hey, Im one of them.... :bounce: :
This is to help anybody whos having problems with nvidia drivers after upgrading to xp, for some reason xp gets rid of your agp driver so it loads the
generic one, so go to control panel system/ hardware/device manager then scroll down to system devices, then to "via cpu to agp2.0/agp3.0 controller" click this to open it then go to driver, "update driver" , once this is done you can then install the latest nvidea drivers and thats it good look!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back