TechSpot

Can't install OS w/pci express card

By pucca
Mar 23, 2006
  1. I just put together a media center. I verified that all of my components are working by putting it together bare bones and shorting out the power with a screwdriver.

Asus A8n-VM motherboard
    AMD Athlon 64 processor
    250 GB Seagate HDD
    Antec Aria case
    NEC DVD R-RW
    1 GIG RAM
    Integrated nVidia graphics card
    GeForce 6200 graphics installed in PCI Express slot

I do not have a VGA monitor and there is no TV out/component out on the onboard graphics. I installed the PCI express graphics card and hooked my s-video cable up to it and my TV. When I turn on the computer, I get the boot screen. I can enter the bios and edit it. After the post screen, I get a black screen with odd characters / cursors. I have not yet been able to install the OS. This garbled screen prevents me from doing so.

Is this a result of the PCI express card being installed and conflicting with the onboard graphics? If so, how do I disable the onboard in the bios? If it's not, what steps should I be taking?

2. CrossFire851

CrossFire851 TS Rookie Posts: 766

Try installing it on a old vga monitor, then install the drivers and enable S-video in the settings.

Best of Luck...

3. pucca

pucca TS Rookie Topic Starter

I'll try that, thanks. I just have to get my hands on one. :) I'll post back with status later.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.