Can't Install Sata Hard disk With PCI SATA controller card

Status
Not open for further replies.
I Can't Install a sata hard disk with a PCI sata controller card.?
My mb is MSI KT4V with AMD athlon 1800.My bios is AMI.
There is no option in my mb for a sata hard disk so i brought the sata pci cotroller card.
In post it shows the raid in my pci slot but cant detect my hard disk. It is a Segate 7200 rpm 160 gb hard disk.My sata pci controller card come with a driver cd but i cant install its driver in dos mode. and i think its for the windows version.
How can i install the single sata drive in my comp.
please help me...

Probably some fakeraid BS..
You have to enter the RAID BIOS and configure the drive as a RAID0 array or something similar. If it doesn't detect the drive in the RAID BIOS either, look over all your cables. Make sure you have power to the hard drive and suchlike.

Nodsu said:
Probably some fakeraid BS..
You have to enter the RAID BIOS and configure the drive as a RAID0 array or something similar. If it doesn't detect the drive in the RAID BIOS either, look over all your cables. Make sure you have power to the hard drive and suchlike.

I'm sure abt the power in my HDD.I also cheak all my cable.
I allready mention that the POST shows the RAID in pci slot with IRQ10 but there is no option in my bios to change in RAID 0 or 1.
Is my bios want a update ? How can i update my bios after downloading the update file ? what is bios flash ? is it dengarush ? how can i do that ?

Not your system BIOS! The BIOS on the RAID card. It should ask you to press some hot key. You may have to enable option ROM in your system bios.

Are you sure it is a SATA RAID card at all?

Hi all, I was just going to start a Thread with exactly the same question.
I have the same problem with my Promise PCI card. I have installed the Promise 376 -378 drivers and they are showing in Device Manager but during boot by Ctrl. F to set up Raid I can not find any way to set to Raid 0 in other words no Raid, the only options are for Mirror or Stripe and that will not allow you to install XP Pro onto that SATA drive. When installing XP I use F6 and install via Floppy the N'vidia SATA Raid drivers from the MSI website but windows can not detect the drive, Seagate Utility will see the drive and tells me it is ok.
I am lost.
cheers
brentano

Same Problem I think

Hi, I think I have a similar problem. I am trying to install a Sata controller card and a Seagate 500 gig sata drive. I follow the instructions reboot my machine and it does not load the driver for the card. It goes through the motions reading the CD but comes back with Problem installing this "Mass Storage Controller" Access Denied.
I have administrator rights on this machine so I don't get the access denied thing.I have tried installing the card with HDD connected and alone and it doesn't seem to make any difference I get the same response.I am trying to install as a secondary drive and not a boot drive. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Kirk:)

Dell Dimension 4500
Pent 4 1.8 Ghz 400 Mhz
1 gig Ram
80 gig Maxtor Primary IDe
Win Xp Sp3

Try going to the card manufacturer's website, download the latest driver and install it.

If you can setup mirror or striping during boot then you can make the RAID array bootable. You just have to press F6 at the start of windows install when prompted and insert your SATA card's driver disk.

So
1) Setup RAID array in bios menu. Either striped or mirrored would work fine.
2) Go to your system bios and make sure the PCI SATA controller is allowed as a boot device.
3) Start installation of windows. Right at the start of the install, press F6 when prompted to install SATA controller drivers as noted above. On the manufacturer website of your SATA card there should be 2 different driver sets. One SPECIFICALLY for the F6 on Windows setup (usually around a floppy disk in size), and the other for installation IN WINDOWS (i.e. the normal drivers you install and update when your Windows install is up and running).
4) Complete windows install as normal.

That should be all you need to do for it to work. Then when you are in Windows, you install the windows drivers (the second driver set) so everything runs optimally.

Note. Vista allows using a CD I believe for the F6 driver but WinXP only accepts floppies if I recall correctly.

MSI Boards

MSI boards need a driver installed up front when you are first installing your windows. You can get it off your driver CD and put it onto a floppy to install it when windows ask if you need to install third party drivers.
Maybe this will help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back