Cant OC 2600+ on A7N8x

By ---agissi---
Nov 8, 2003
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Well my friend has a 2600+ TBred, on a Asus A7N8x, with a SLK900 and a ~35CFM Fan to go with it.

When I go into the BIOS to change the CPU multi,it wont go any higher then what its at now, 12.5. It'll go lower, but not higher.

I can change the FSB all the way up to 211, but it wont go much higher then 180 - Plus I dont want to up the FSB that much, I just want to be able to OC the CPU a fair bit (since a 2600 with a SLK900 should be able to).

Any ideas on whats causing me to not be able to change the Multi? I thought I read on the internet somewhere theres a jumper you have to change but I read the manual and it didnt say anything about a OC jumper.

The board is the Deluxe, v2.0.
  2. Nic

Nic TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,928

Its a common problem with AMD's new *locked* CPUs. Basically you need a mainboard that can read the 5th multiplier bit, in order to access multiplier settings of 13x and above. The Asus A7N8X does not read the 5th multiplier bit. The only mobo that I know about that does is the Abit NF7-S v2.0. For possible solutions, take a look at this article (see reader update at the end) ...

Unlocking and Overclocking the Athlon XP

3. ---agissi---

---agissi--- TechSpot Paladin Topic Starter Posts: 2,383   +15

Thx Nic that was great, i figured out what is needed and how to do it :)
  4. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 5,899

Make sure it works the same way for the TBred before you make that modification.
  5. ---agissi---

Shall do Didou.. thx :)
  6. wicka_wicka

wicka_wicka Banned Posts: 179

I know someone else who has an A7N8X Deluxe, and they can't even get their FSB above 200 because the board is holding them back.
  7. ---agissi---

oh yeah ofcourse, it must be the board! geez - he should have got your Epox or Abit NFS-7.. cant believe he was dumb enough to get an Asus mobo! silly friend of mine.
  8. wicka_wicka

wicka_wicka Banned Posts: 179

Wow, someone's picky today...I was just pointing out that you won't get it much higher because the board isn't very good with OC'ing...christ...
  9. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 5,899

His OCing is limited by his Ram ( PC2700 ), not by the board.

& please watch your language.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.