Can't Open Attachments In Outlook Express

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have several machines with Windows 2k OS using Outlook Express 6.0 that are unable to open some attachments. I have confirmed that the file extensions are of registered file types thru folder options and I'm aware of the OE security settings, (uncheck - "Do Not Allow Attachments To Be Saved Or Opened That Could Potentially Be A Virus"), but this box is checked and grayed out so that it cannot be unchecked.
Is this my problem and if so how do I correct it?:confused:

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 7
When you attempt to change this OE setting, are you logged in as administrator?? Have you tried opening OE's mail properties while OE is closed?

Also, is this an internet email account, a POP/IMAP account, or other?

Hope this helps! btw- Welcome to Techspot!

Thanks Goalie!
Yes I am logged in as administrator and I'm not sure how to get into OE properties with it closed, or at least they way I done it doesn't seem to give me any options for changing this setting.
My mail account is a POP account.
...STILL AT A LOSS, T_C...

Try removing the mail account profile, then recreating it..

Be sure to back up your .mbx, idx files...

Will continue to search for more practical advice..

I finally found the solution to my problem. In the machine registry there is a key to block exe attachments. All I had to do was change the value to “0”.
Thanks for everyone’s help

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
SOFTWARE
MICROSOFT
OUTLOOK EXPRESS

DWORD "BLOCKEXEATTACHMENT" (VALUE WAS SET TO "1")

i guess MS blocked off those extensions because a lot of people open suspicious attachments with .exe without even thinking about it.

just make sure the file is safe if you are going to open it though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back