Can't Open Files by clicking on certain icons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TearsInHvn

I can't open my computer, windows explorer, my recycling bin, network places........ and so on.. Can someone please help? I have cleaned up my reg, dumped about 10 programs that i had installed which I liked, to find nothing worked. Thanks in advance.

Instead of taking so much time to figure out what's wrong with it and possibly still have issues later if you manage to resolve this problem, I'd suggest you just reinstall Windows. It's the safest and easiest way to rectify almost any problem you're having. What I would also do, is go and get a live Linux CD, and if you have an external USB drive or a thumbdrive, you can back up the files that you need, which you could then just put back once Windows is reinstalled.

Reinstall Windows?? This is the first sign of trouble I have had in over a years time on this computer and your saying there's no other way to fix this issue?? I was hoping that someone knew what was wrong and had a way to repair it. I would rather go back a few weeks instead of reinstalling windows. Don't you think thats a little drastic for a "first symptom"?

Last night was the first night i noticed it doing it. When i click on any of those things, my screen goes BLANK. Then it pop's back to the desktop again. It's weird.

Oh wow...okay um try going to system restore and restore to the most recent point if it wasn't too long ago...that may fix your problem. I can't say for sure though. I've never had good luck with system restore and weird issues like this.

OK, i found out what it was by poking around before restoring or re-installation of windows.

Solution: Right click on my computer
Selected Property's
Clicked on Remote Tab
Checked Allow uses to connect remotely to this computer.

please give the reason this would help any thing if u do not need some one remotely to control your computer. I have used that before and it is a great feature of WindowsXP if needed but I see no way it could cause this kind of a situation.

Yeah...that would have absolutely nothing to do with whatever it is that's causing your problem...that's extremely strange.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back