Can't open my downloads

Status
Not open for further replies.

rake1

I have just installed windows 7 and most downloads will not open I get system is unable to open this .nfo file. any ideas

What exactly you are trying to download/open? .nfo are usually txt files and you can view them with notepad

Seems they want to be invisible from me :)

If you are trying to add an list file; yo can do it by clicking on Go Advance and click on the clip icon.

You can try to unzip them in a folder, then run setup/install executables to install them (some softwares may not install if they are packed in a zip/rar etc.)

I have just installed windows 7 and most downloads will not open I get system is unable to open this .nfo file. any ideas

Hmmm... Well, a few comments
1) In Windows, by default, .nfo files are Windows System Information files. These are ascii text files in an xml format

2) I had never heard of .nfo files as simple text before but clearly they do exist. (Tho maybe more common with warez type downloads i gather from this link???? :suspiciou )

3) So if an nfo file is simple text, then there is nothing to be unzipped

4) If you want the option to easily open any file with Notepad (to look at it as simple text) try adding Open With Notepad to your context menu. (i find that a quite useful and handy context menu option myself)

Ok here is what I found it seems I have to set the default program in windows 7 in order to open most files. The .nfo file right now is set for systems to open I have gone into the default setting but can't find administrator which I am told will open it. Not Like XP where you can go open with. This new windows 7 you have to associate a program in defaults first. Now how do I find administrator.

It still doesn't matter as long as the file is not associated with any other program; because when you are going to click on it, it will inevitably ask for the you to select a program in which you want it to be opened.

However, if there is an association; simply selected the target file while pressing shift and right clicking on it, it should give you option to 'open with..." you can then choose whichever program you want it to open with.

this good and I did do this yesterday but the file I want to open says use run as administrator. Well on most files that are present when I right clickrun asadministrator is an option, so no problem.
My problem is some files don't show run as administrator as an option, so I can't open them. I have tried to attach this option but no luck. any ideas on how to make it present on all files?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back