Can't open Office 2010 docs

The Viking

After installing the latest Windows updates, I was unable to open any Word or Excel programs on my computer. The doc opened, but immediately an error message dialogue box came up:

Error message: Microsoft Office cannot verify the license for this product. You should repair the Office program by using Control Panel.

The only 2 options available were to click the X to close, or click OK button. Both resulted in the doc closing.

Control panel --> Office did not display an option to repair.

I run Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit and Office 2010 Home and Student ... both legitimate store bought products with product keys.

I even tried to uninstall and re-install Office with no change in the results.

I uninstalled the Windows updates with no change, then re-installed them.

System restore did nothing to change the issue.

I would appreciate any help with this issue.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Hi Bazz,

Thanks for posting. I've tried that 3 times and just spent 6 hours on chat with MS support. They couldn't help and tried that a number of times as well.

They suspect there might be something in the OS.

MS has scheduled a callback for me with a level 2 tech. They want money for that, though, and it's something I don't have.

In the meantime install one of the freeware Office suites. That will enable you to use your existing files and take the pressure out of the situation.

I've had a look through my Windows updates and there's a lot this month just for Microsoft Office. It's quite possible that one or more may cause registry problems. They'll be reluctant to admit it though.

That Microsoft Fixit hasn't had great reviews so you could try the utility it replaced. Microsoft withdrew the Cleanup utility because of reported problems with Microsoft Office (2007) but here's a link :

https://www.techspot.com/downloads/388-windows-installer-cleanup-utility.html

There's also a program called Revo Uninstaller that can clean things up after an uninstall.

MS Support spent 6 hours Sunday on my computer taking remote control. I went through 3 techs and I was watching what they they were doing. They tried Fix It, installed (but didn't use) Revo, and spent a bit of time in the registry -- something I know nothing about.

I used system restore to go back a week when everything was okay, but that didn't fix the problem either.

The last tech looked like she knew what she was doing because she was lightning fast.

I tried to delete all the latest Windows updates myself, then re-installed them without success.

I appreciate your help, Bazz, and will try the TechSpot installer tool you've provided in a while.

Well Microsoft are trying hard on this one. The link I gave you is the Techspot link to a download for the Microsoft utility that Microsoft removed from their website in August 2010. Obviously they no longer recommend it. You have to run it as an administrator after a program is uninstalled via Control Panel. It is intended to remove all residual traces of the program you have just uninstalled - in your case Office 2010. A fresh installation of the program may then succeed. I'd be inclined to go with whatever Microsoft support suggest.

Hi Bazz,

I think I'm done trying to fix whatever is wrong with my computer. I would like to do a clean install of Windows 7 Home Premium (it's what I bought originally) and need some help.

I guess I need to know what I should save to an external hard drive and how to proceed with the rest.

My Acer laptop has about 400 gig used already so this will take some time.

A few months ago, I was getting assistance from Broni at TechSpot. He specializes in Malware, or at least that was what he spent a week trying to help me fix the problems I was having at the time. One of the things he had me do was to make a bootable USB of Windows 7. I still have that USB drive. Can I use it again?

Would I need to save all my program files? I guess I could always find them again, but there are many ... too many to write down probably.

I'm also worried that some of what I am saving contains a virus/worm/etc that I would re-install once the reformat is completed.

I'm not very good at this computer stuff, and that's why I need some guidance. I don't even know the right questions to ask before a reformat, or the proper steps to take. If you would like to try a few things before I'm all in, that would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Dennis (The Viking)

Making a full backup of your saved documents and files is very important. You would need to reinstall the programs you have installed so will need the original discs or downloaded exec files to reinstall them. You can't save the programs from the hard drive. Some may also require an authentication code eg Windows 7 and Microsoft Office 2010. You need to be able to get into the bios to select your first boot device ie usb or disc drive for an installation disc otherwise you won't be able to start the Windows installation so check that out.

I don't know if you can use that usb drive to reinstall Windows but think it's quite possible. Otherwise have a Windows 7 installation disc ready. You can download a copy from Digital River's site which hosts legitimate isos for Microsoft. An iso can then be burned to a disc.
Reinstalling Windows 7 will take a lot of time. After a reinstall you will need to go through Windows updates and that will also be a long job. There is likely to be a need to find drivers for any hardware that isn't fully working or even not recognised.

Don't rush into anything apart from preparing copies of what you need. Reinstalling Windows isn't that difficult but can take ages. Hopefully you have a second computer and loads of time.

Here's another link for that cleanup utility which you could use as a last ditch attempt before reinstalling Windows 7.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/mg/getmirror/windows_installer_cleanup_utility,1.html

I suggest you uninstall Office, and then run the Cleanup utility to elimiminate all traces. You could then try CCleaner which is a useful free utility to tidy things up. After that try and reinstall Office 2010. Best of luck.

Back