Cant Open Printer Properties Error Messages Please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryantruck

Cant Open Printer Properties, Error Messages, Please help

Hi, I need a little bit of help with my computer. A couple days ago I was on the internet and a small window appeared and said I had a corupted file, and to run scandisk. I ran scan disk and it deleted a bunch of files automatically. Since then this is happening ;

#1 In Printers & Fax Folder When I right click Printer Properties, it does nothing ,when i right click printing preferences, it says operation could not be completed.

This error message appeared before scan disk deleted the files.
#2 Whenever i open a window this error message appears "Run Dll Error loading winupd.dll The specified Module could not be found".

#3 Error message Bad Image The application or DLL C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\Drivers\W32X86\3\EPUTIX25.DLL is not a valid Windows image Please check this against your installation diskette.

#4 When I open Norton Anti Virus and click scan for viruses and click scan My Computer Error message appears Internet Explorer Script Error An error has occurred in the script on this page. It says Do you want to continue running scripts on this page ? If I click yes Or No The Scan Progress Window opens and it does nothing and the only way I can close it is to use windows task manager when I click End Task A small black window opens and then another small window opens and says 16 bit MS DOS Subsystem C:\WINDOWS\System32\dumprep.exe The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instuction. CS:0550 IP:0109 OP:fe ff 83 ca 03 Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.

System: Microsoft Windows XP Professional Version 2002
Service Pack 1

Computer: AMD Athlon Processor 1.30 GHz
256 MB of RAM
80 GB Hard Drive

ON the surface, it sounds to me as if you have a corruption of system files. The problem may be more extended than that, especially with some of the viruses around today.

A few things you can try:

Trend Micro's Housecall- http://housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/start_corp.asp

An online virus scanner. Takes a while to load, esp. over dialup, but is good for a quick check.

System Restore:

Start->Programs->Accessories->System Tools->System Restore. In the program that pops up, chose "Restore my computer to an earlier time." Click next. Then on the calendar that pops up, chose a date that has a bold number and is a day before the problems started happening. Click next, follow directions. You will have to reboot.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/plan/faqsrwxp.mspx has more info.

System File checker...
Start->Run->Command

In the box that pops up put in "sfc /scannow" without the quotes. Press enter. When it finishes, reboot the machine.

See http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=310747 For more info.

Also be sure to run a scandisk on your harddrive and to check for bad sectors just in case.

Let us know what you try and what results you get.

Hope this helps! BTW- Welcome to Techspot! :wave:

Computer Problem Reply

Goalie, Thanks for your help.

I Think I figured out the problem When I opened System File checker Start-> Run-> Command In The boxed that poped up I put in sfc/scannow Pressed Enter #1Then it says Windows File Protection Please wait while Windows Verifies that all Protected Windows files are intact and in their original Versions.

#2 Windows File Protection Files that are required for Windows to run Properly must be copied to the DLL Cache.

#3 Insert your windows XP Professional Service Pack 1. CD now.

I dont have a windows XP Professional Service Pack 1. CD

So I think I'll have to buy it I think the cheapest For that is $150

I'll try to borrow it first Thanks for your help
ryantruck

If this is a laptop/dell/etc the system restore CD frequently has a directory that is needed for this, you might try it, as well as the driver CD.

If this isn't a legit copy of XP though, yes, let's go get a legit copy. :)

Also, as RBS notes, if it's wanting XP SP1 files you can get those for free. However in my experience that message usually means it wants the i386 directory off your XP Install cd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back