Can't Overclock Allendale!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moimit

Well i've just upgraded my computer about a week ago and i've got a strange problem.

First of all these are my specs"

Intel E6300 (1.86ghz, 2mb)
Gigabyte GA-965P-S3
2x1024mb Corsair VS 667/4x512mb Corsair XMS 800
Antec NEOHE 500w
Xpertvision 6600GT 256(575/1100)
Samsung 200g SataII

I've just upgraded my power supply from a Thermaltake 420w Supply which ran great but it had to be bigger for the 7900gs i'm hoping to upgrade to.
I've tried moving the FSB up from 266 to even 267 and when i restart the computer it just restarts, powers off, powers on at standard clock speed. My guess is that this is the built in overclocking protection. At a different multiplier (6 instead of 7) and the FSB pumped upso my ram came in at 667 it posted once and went to 2.31ghz i think but performance was worse. Does anyone know what i could do to get it clocked above stock cooling? I've got a 120mm fan sucking air out of it and my gfx card is pushing heaps of air onto the cpu because of the VF700-CU hanging over the board. Have i missed anything i should be doing or am i up for a new board or memory :(

Is your motherboard overlock compatible? Cheap motherboards, such as that one, although being very good and reliable, often dont have adequate BIOS support for overlclocking.

Regards,

Korrupt

Hi Moimit,

a googled "GA-965P-S3 overclock" and from what I read it would appear that that mobo has good overclocking features, but they are "hidden" by default (I have no idea why). according to this thread from another forum:
Unlock your cpu by disabling the EIST, CE1 and TM1 options in the hidden bios then overclock the FSB at your leisure.

Ctrl+F1 to unlock the hidden options in the bios

hope that helps, good luck :)

OMG i will try it when i get home, if you lived in aus i'd transfer $50 to you if it works.

EDIT: OK when i got home i tried it, It overclocked a little to alot but one small problem. After the bios has booted the screen goes black as in to boot from the hdd but it turns off and restarts. I Turned off EIST, CE1 but with the TM1 i can't find i only have the option to turn off the TM2 which i've done, i even turned off the Virtualisation and upped the voltage to my cpu just incase but still i get this strange reboot. Temps after numerous attempts to OC are about 42c. I have the F2 Bios installed, would upgrading to the F3 make it work? i have the option to change the ram speeds but i wouldn't dare as i've never really done anything with timings and certainly not with Value select as i'm under the impression it doesn't go faster than specified. PLEASE HELP!

Thanks KingCody I can't thank you enough, i updated my bios and turned off that stuff you said to. I have the processor currently running at 2.333 with my FSB at 333 running 1:1 with my Corsair memory. I have the voltage at 1.392v at the moment but i'm going to try and turn it down. I am getting a 7900GT or 7900GS soon and then i will get back to you on the Performace jump that i have recieved. I'm thinking of actually buying some of the 800mhz ram to try because my friend wanted his stuff back but so far i'm impressed. I will also try to turn on those things you said one by one to see if i can clock it down to 1.998mhz with EIST 42c idle and 47c load.

glad to see that it worked :)

happy overclocking (and try not to fry anything.. haha)

:wave:

With the F7 bios, I've got the same processor running at an FSB of 343, giving a 2.4Ghz chip. Voltages are set to auto, temperature maxes out at about 58C with stock cooling running 3DMark06. Testing with lower voltages now. Haven't bothered trying to go higher yet, no stability problems at all. El Cheapo 533MHz ram, now running at 686MHz with no problems. Timings are 5-4-4-11 which isn't great, but since the original timings were 4-4-4-10 at 533MHz, performance has still increased.

I'll post later with temperature and stability at standard voltages...

Oops, my bad, Original timings were supposed to be 4-4-4-12, the board set them automatically to 5-6-6-17 with the 343MHz FSB. That sucks, I thought, so what can I do?

It turns out that if you press "Ctrl-F1" in the BIOS screen, it opens up a few new features, including the option to change RAM timings.

So currently I'm running the following:

Gigabyte GA-965P-S3 w/ 1066MHz FSB O/C'd to 1372MHz (Damn, it's not mathematically possible to get 1337)
Intel E6300 (1.86ghz, 2mb) O/C'd to 2401MHz
4x512Mb no-name 533MHz RAM, O/C'd to 686MHz @ 4-4-4-12.

Voltages are manually set to standard voltages (no automatic over-voltage etc.)
Stock cooling runs at a comfortable 52C under load.

This board is lovely, and the Core2 processors have a LOT of room for overclocking.

roflcopter said:
Oops, my bad, Original timings were supposed to be 4-4-4-12, the board set them automatically to 5-6-6-17 with the 343MHz FSB. That sucks, I thought, so what can I do?

It turns out that if you press "Ctrl-F1" in the BIOS screen, it opens up a few new features, including the option to change RAM timings.

So currently I'm running the following:

Gigabyte GA-965P-S3 w/ 1066MHz FSB O/C'd to 1372MHz (Damn, it's not mathematically possible to get 1337)
Intel E6300 (1.86ghz, 2mb) O/C'd to 2401MHz
4x512Mb no-name 533MHz RAM, O/C'd to 686MHz @ 4-4-4-12.

Voltages are manually set to standard voltages (no automatic over-voltage etc.)
Stock cooling runs at a comfortable 52C under load.

This board is lovely, and the Core2 processors have a LOT of room for overclocking.

omg i'd totally forgotten about writing this otherwise i would have updated it. The original problem was that my XMS2 voltage on the board was left at auto, my highest stable overclock was a fsb of 445 which resulted in 3105mhz roughly. I got the scythe ninja the HR-05-SLI(70mm fan attached) and runs like a dream at 4-4-4-12 2.1v, i also got the 7950gt which i overclocked but thats nothing special. Go the core2

Once you hit the 400mhz wall the performance with DDR800 is awesome Above is a bonus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back