TechSpot

Can't play .avi file, runtime error

By adu123
Jul 27, 2008
  1. I am running vista home premium, I just download a video file (.avi format), but when I tried to play it, the following message show up:

"Runtime Error! Program: C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe, This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application's support team for more information." When I click OK, WMP just close, I tried to play it with other player, same thing happened:(. How can I fix it?

Any help are appreciated!

Thanks in advance

Adu123,

2. ¼ of a hotdog

¼ of a hotdog TS Enthusiast Posts: 214

what players have you tried? i have had some trouble with windows media player so you might try vlc media player it plays almost everything. its free only a 9mb download.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-windows.html

it doesn't look as cool as other things but it works great!

3. adu123

adu123 TS Maniac Topic Starter Posts: 301

I've tried QuickTime, NeroShowTime, both pop up with a error message except I heard sound from NeroShowTime, but can't see anything. I will try that vlc player, but any ideas why the error message show up?

Thanks for the response.

Adu123,

4. gbhall

gbhall TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,374   +58

Could be video driver problem. Check the motherboard or video card m/f as appropriate for an update.

5. adu123

Thanks, the vlc player works great!!! It'd be alot better if the looks is improved:)

Doesn't the driver update come along with the automatic window udate?

6. nickc

nickc TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,682

NO! it does NOT

7. ¼ of a hotdog

¼ of a hotdog TS Enthusiast Posts: 214

8. adu123

Thanks! Can't believe it really exists:haha:

Wonder how come microsoft don't include those update? hmm....

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.