Can't play DVD's

Status
Not open for further replies.

yapmy

Can't play DVD..pls help

i recently bought a samsung DVD 16x . when i tried to play a DVD using WINDVD it just wont play although it detects the DVD...but when i play a VCD instead it is able to play it...is it my graphics card problem?btw im using a voodoo3 2000...thx for ur help ppl

Try using another DVD player. What one came with your drive?
I don't think you have any DVD decoding. If none came with your drive, there aren't many alternatives...

Yes, I had this problem when I tried to watch a DVD with my video card player, it didn't work. I didn't even install the DVD player that came with my drive, but I installed PowerDVD and it woks great. You might want to try that.

i bought an OEM pack...that menas that it dint came with any software..only the DVD drive..when i use the windvd i just cant play any DVD...btw my Drive is region free..is it because my voodoo 3 cant decode the DVD?

Originally posted by yapmy
i is it because my voodoo 3 cant decode the DVD?

The V3 has something called "DVD assist". It's not a DVD decoder, but it supposedly releases some of the load on your CPU, making it a bit easier to play DVDs.

Because of this feature, I would assume the Voodoo3 is not at fault.

I am not very familiar with DVDs, but may there is a special setting that you have to use.. Something like choosing your DVD drive or rendering device that you have neglected to do (Wild guesses)

You should download some shareware DVD apps and see if they work. WinDVD might just be flakey on your system.

I have used a DVD drive in conjunction with the Voodoo 3 2000 and with any "software" DVD player it works fine. Got to specify that the software is doing the decoding (i.e. your CPU). Try a different DVD player although WinDVD should work. Check out its settings to see if its somehow set to use hardware decoding (which you don't have)

Try using PowerDVD. That works great for all your DVD needs. I use it over my DVD software that came with my player.

Have you used a utility to set the DVD-region in the software?

WinDVD has a region checker, so you'll need to use some software to fool it... DVD Genie should work like a charm (it also allows you to reset the region countdown in WinDVD)...

.02$

That's a pretty wierd problem. You'd be best checking if there are any patches available for that version of WinDVD you got.
The Voodoo 3 should be irrelevant as it will be WinDVD alone doing the decoding. The Voodoo 3 has no real hardware decoding features like iDCT or Motion compensation.

Try downloading DVD Genie & using that to adjust the WinDVD options.

Recently, my friend gave me an old dvd decoder card. It was the Creative drx2 encore package. I thought my vga card could not encode mpeg-2/or dvd format . . . my vga card is a nVidia tnt2 m64 32ram w/ s-video tv-out

I would imagine that it would be no use w/ or w/ out it . . .

They say they would soften the load on the cpu or vga card . . . im not sure about that . . .

I also have a dvd-rom drive . . . but i have no dvds to test it out yet . . .

I have used
CyberLink's Power DVD

for awhile to play video files and vcds . . . I would say it has many options.

You can download the trial version . . . and test drive it before you buy the retailer.

Good luck,
TRUFFLES

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back