Can't power up K7S5A w/o AGP?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an ECS K7S5A motherboard and two monitors, one each connected to AGP and PCI. The system runs fine as-is.

I want to remove the AGP card and connect both monitors through the PCI card, but when I remove the AGP card the system won't power up. Is this normal? Does the motherboard not allow power without an AGP card plugged in? Is there a setting I can change to fix this?

Mboard: ECS K7S5A
PSU: Antec Neo HE 430W
AGP: ATI All-In-Wonder Radeon
PCI: PowerColor 9250 Radeon (dual-output)

The motherboard BIOS might be looking for the missing AGP graphics card during POST at boot-up. Try resetting the BIOS with the CMOS jumper. Consult the motherboard manual for this.

I am not 100% sure about this suggestion, so don't take my word for it - it's only a possibility. Best you wait for a second opinion.

Thanks for the suggestion, but the CMOS jumper didn't seem to change anything.

Now I think the power supply is my problem. Even with the AGP card in I can't power the system up. It seemed to be working fine before. Power comes in a single spurt, that spins up fans for maybe a second, but does nothing else. And I can only try again by switching the PSU off, unplugging and plugging the power cord, and switching it back on. Has anyone dealt with this before? I get the feeling it's unfixable and I'll have to ship this one back--what a pain--but any suggestions are appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back