Can't raise multiplier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Extreme

The multiplier on my CPU won't let me raise above 11.5. It is set to 12.5 but GCPUID only reports 11.5. I can go as high as 14.5 but when I go to 13 to see if GCPUID will report 12 - 12.5 the computer won't post. I am wondering if I have faulty memory. I reflashed my mobo to see if that would fix the problem with no results. Has anyone else had this problem, and how did you fix it.

Yes you can oc it, but you can`t change the multiplier.

Unlocked and Superlocked Multiplers
What is this all about? Before 2003 week 39, all AMD XP series processors leaft factory with unlocked multipliers. This means the user could change it in BIOS and get awsome overclockings because the user not only could change FSB but also multiplier. After that moment, AMD started to lock the XP series multipliers at factory (except the XP mobiles), therfore the users can't change it in BIOS and so far, no "wire trick" or any other "trick" unlocked the multiplers, that's why it's called "superlocked". I don't know why AMD did that but i suppose they were aware of what was going on, i mean, why would one user buy the 3200+ XP if he could buy one cheeper and make it run at 3200+ speeds? If it was so, i can perfectly understand AMD's point of view and agree with it.

Regards Howard :cool:

You can change the multiplier of mobile Athlon CPUs freely, including Bartons.

If you want to OC via multiplier alteration, that is the best way to go.

I would like to but I can't get it to work
When I put it on 12.5 CPU-Z reports it is on 11.5.
How do I fix this? I have tried everything I can think of with no results.
Stock multiplier on this CPU is 11.0 and it is at 11.5 now @ 210mhz so I know it is unlocked.

1) What motherboard are you using, with what BIOS revision?

2) What CPU are you using, and if possible what is the OPN code on it?

MotherBoard: ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe BIOS Version 1013
CPU: Athlon XP 3200+ AXDA3200DKV4E

Sorry for not writting that in my Post.
And thanks for reply, I hope you can help me.

You are not using a mobile CPU. That is why you cannot raise the multiplier. You will never be able to change it with that CPU. IF you want to overclock in that fashion, you need to get a mobile athlon.

OK, I found a Athlon XP 3000+ CPU that was made before they started locking the multipliers but still can't get the multipliers to work. The stock multiplier is 10.5 and when I take it past 11.0 x 200mhz it doesn't want to run the system. I have tried a number of combinations with the multiplier and no luck. The OS will boot all the way up to the green dots running across the screen where it says Windows XP. Should I increase the vcore more or what? It is @ 1.75 now. Could I have a defective mobo? Whats going on? (Pulls Hair out of head) The CPU is the 400fsb 3000+ Barton core.

AXDA3000DKV4E -- AQZEA 0332SPMW

Stop trying with desktop processors, you're just going to frustrate yourself.

Get your hands on a mobile CPU and try that out. Worst case scenario, you have to return the CPU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back