Can't reach Belkin configuration page..is this a problem???

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have 2 wired pc, and a laptop. The PCs are Acer3100+, 1.8ghz, 1G ram, connected via ethernet to a wildblue modem. I have just installed a Belkin wireless router, model F5D 6231-4, that I bought on ebay. Both pcs will go online, a little slower than before, but my big concern is that when I run a cmd, ipconfig/all, my IP address dosen't match what they say. Belkin says it should be 192.168.1, and I get 70.41.xx.xxx, in this range. They said to configure router, but when I enter that page address, I get the notice of a network error. I don't know enough about this to know if this is a security issue or not! If I manually enter the numbers that Belkin should be , I get the correct address in an ipconfig, but I cannot get to the page, or get online. What have I done wrong!!!!

the Belkin default address is 192.168.2.1

you're apparently wired like
modem---(wan)belkin-router(LAN)---yourPCs

the WAN side address will be set by your ISP, not belkin and might well be
70.41.xx.xxx, but none of your PCs will see this using IPCONFIG /ALL --
they will see the LAN side addresses. IPCONFIG will show the DHCP address
given to that specific machine. the LAN side address of the belkin should be
the default above, and thus your PC addresses will default to something like
192.168.2.x.

use one PC to access the router config using your browser http://192.168.2.1/
IF NECESSARY, you can change the default router address and the range of IP
addresses that will be assigned to your PCs.

you should absolutely change the admin password

BillnMartie said:
We have 2 wired pc, and a laptop. The PCs are Acer3100+, 1.8ghz, 1G ram, connected via ethernet to a wildblue modem. I have just installed a Belkin wireless router, model F5D 6231-4, that I bought on ebay. Both pcs will go online, a little slower than before, but my big concern is that when I run a cmd, ipconfig/all, my IP address dosen't match what they say. Belkin says it should be 192.168.1, and I get 70.41.xx.xxx, in this range. They said to configure router, but when I enter that page address, I get the notice of a network error. I don't know enough about this to know if this is a security issue or not! If I manually enter the numbers that Belkin should be , I get the correct address in an ipconfig, but I cannot get to the page, or get online. What have I done wrong!!!!

Hi

When you do an ipconfig, the default gateway is the address of your router, if your not happy with the settings there is a reset button on the back of the router, power off, hold it power on, let go of the reset button, wait till it settles and then access the admin pages using 192.168.2.1.

It may have been set by the last user to what it is now for some reason.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back