Can't read and write dvd's

Status
Not open for further replies.

abhi1777

Hi guys
I have a very strange kind of a problem in my pc............I have a DVD writer(Sony DVD RW AW-Q170A) which is working very good with reading or writing cd's but when it comes to reading or writing dvd's it has some problem. Whenever I write a dvd it gives no problem during burning process but when it comes to reading it, it shows no data on my burned dvd...............When i checked the burned dvd properties i found it on RAW format which is not supported by windows........................Though all these dvds are working fine with my friends pcs.............i m using nero 7 for writing my dvd's...............can anyone tell me what is the problem???????Also I m not been able to read dvd's which is burned by my friends...All these dvd's shows RAW format on my system. One more thing my writer is reading dvd's which is burned in UDF or cdfs format..........So I don't think there is any problem with mah new writer. Is there any way to burn dvds with cdfs or any other windows supported format?????????I have also formatted my system 2 times and don't want to format it again.

Operating system
Win Xp sp2
Dvd writer
Sony

I have been trying to burn a dvd for a few days now. I absolutely give up. I spent the money for a DVD Burner, downloaded DVD Decrypter, DVD Shrink 3.1, just like a couple of guys at work did, and no dice.
I am not one of the people who knows how to recalibrate the .ifo into a parallel .tss while distributing the .jko with the .sis and manipulating the .fre with the .plw file.
That is exactly what most 'simple' directions look like online for this kind of bull****. I hate it. I have sacrificed sleep, and time, and money for this ****, and it won't work.
My computer doesn't even acknowledge the the DVD Burner now. It will play cd's and burn music cd's but it when I try to access it in the windows explorer, I get
E:\ is not accessible.
Incorrect function.
That's cute, isn't it? So is it being selective or what?
I think that this is just a thing that people are born knowing. I'm tired of the "Oh God, you didn't knooooooow that?" from tech support websites on the internet.
I have Windows XP, an HP DVD Burner and about 50 more gray hairs than I had before this crap.

We does not condone the use of illegal softwares.

Have you tried to delete the secondary IDE from the Hardware manager and restart ?

reply to bushwacker

Hey bush........what do u mean by saying that "you forgot to close a session".....Hey dude I m not a beginner buddy......I know how to close a session when dvd burning fails..........so don't give unwanted answers to meaningful questions.............If u have any meaningful reply then please share wid us otherwise don't reply..........Someone experienced than you may clear our query..........Thank you.

Every symptom you describe points to sngx1275 being spot on the mark - the drive is dead. Bereft of life, it is no more; it has shuffled off this mortal coil and gone to meet it's maker. It has joined the choir invisibule.

You are right abhi1777,
a failed burn can't be "closed"... :haha:

... and Frank Hotdog, other than checking jumpers (CD/DVD burners should be set as master on an IDE channel), and replacing cables, replacing the drive is the only option

Reply to SNGX1275

Hey SNGX1275 if my laser is dead than why it is still burning cd's without any problem and why dvd burned by my writer is working well on other pc's except in mine.................So I don't think that my laser has any problem.........The problem i see is with my drivers..........I think they are outdated and needs to be updated.........Can anybody provide the link from where i can recieve updated drivers?????????

This has to be a firmware issue. Temporarily ditch the Sony and install a Lite-On CD/DVD R/W then try reading other DVD's and writing

before i begin, abhi1777, please read the following threads:

Message for all newcomers

SNGX1275's Guide to making a good post/thread

The Techspot FAQ

and if you could take a minute to fill in some of your profile information it would be extremely helpful, especially the "Location" part.

like bushwhacker said, make sure you have ticked the box marked "multisession disc" is unchecked, you could even tick the one that says "verify data after burning" so that it makes sure that it has written it ok

if you're so sure that your laser is not faulty then find your model in the downloads section of the sony website and update its drivers or firmware

as a sidenote, dvd decrypter isn't an illegal software, it is up to the use how they use it. however the guy who made it (Lightning! UK) was forced to stop doing so because some big company told him to otherwise they'd sue him or something. as far as i know dvd shrink just compresses a batch of files so that they'll fit on a DVD 5 (aka single layer disc) but i haven't used it myself so that's not guaranteed that i'm right :)

Nice post Daveskater...

"as a sidenote, dvd decrypter isn't an illegal software, it is up to the use how they use it. however the guy who made it (Lightning! UK) was forced to stop doing so because some big company told him to otherwise they'd sue him or something. as far as i know dvd shrink just compresses a batch of files so that they'll fit on a DVD 5 (aka single layer disc) but i haven't used it myself so that's not guaranteed that i'm right"...

You are right. DVD Shrink compresses or otherwise alters DVD flies to fit on the common 4.7GB blank DVD. It also prepares the files to be burned by using Nero or DVD Decrypter. I use the "burn an ISO file using DVD Decrypter". This option is faster than using Nero. The written DVD can be played on most computers and stand alone DVD players.

For CD burning I use Alcohol120%... It is not free

For Data file and music burning, I use XP's Roxio plug-in and Media Player 11

"Nice post Daveskater..."

cheers mate :D

i've never burned an iso with dvd decrypter, i don't use iso files very often :)

i just remembered, it is legal to have a backup copy of something you have bought e.g. a dvd or cd but even so, development of dvd decrypter had to be stopped. the last released version recognizes vista as "Longhorn codename media center edition" or something like that

One more think i would like to add to my post guys.......................I can read my unreadable disc through image creation software like cd space 5...............It is reading my unreadable dvds but the problem is i don't have any extra space or time to first create an image and then insert it to be enable to read my dvds...........:haha:.................

abhi1777 said:
Hey SNGX1275 if my laser is dead than why it is still burning cd's without any problem and why dvd burned by my writer is working well on other pc's except in mine.................So I don't think that my laser has any problem.........The problem i see is with my drivers..........I think they are outdated and needs to be updated.........Can anybody provide the link from where i can recieve updated drivers?????????
DVD Burned with that burner works in other pcs? Can you currently burn a DVD with that writer?

CD burning isn't done with the same laser as DVD burning, same with reading. So just because you can burn cds doesn't mean your DVD is good.

The DVD read laser may be dead is what I'm saying. Put the drive in your friends computer if you don't believe me and see if it reads fine there, if it does then I'm wrong.

Okay, for a starter...

You need to stop using the .............. as your comment.

You will call another member by their's full name.

At least you can try to make a proper post, if you calling yourself not beginner, then act like one.

I'm not giving out the unwanted answer. The unreadable disc is most common on the unclosed sessions on the disc.

So be careful what you said toward the community.

Oh and, welcome to Techspot.

By the way Daveskater, it was Longhorn.

For the firmware, www.rpc1.org

Reply to bushwhacker

Ok Mr. Bushwacker i agreed wid your comments or suggestions or whatever but for God sake cool down. Now I m taking my drive to service center and let's see what they have to say for this problem. Anyways I would like to say thankyou to all my friends for their "Valuable" suggestions.:grinthumb

I use "..." frequently, meaning to continue, or pause in thought. abhi1777 may mean the same thing with his ".............." This may be a difference in culture too.

Anyway abhi1777, good luck with your writer

Yup........Tmagic is right i also use "........." for a pause or change of thought and i don't think anything is wrong wid that............And for your kind information mr. bushwhacker i m calling other members by their full name...............So plz first check what i m posting and then tell me my mistakes........alright mr. Bushwackher.....:)

dudes i ve same problem as the post in the top of the page ,same dvd writer , same os,but the only solution is either you have to burn in udf of iso -joliet format and use iso-buster or cd roller software it is the only solution i ve found , now dvds reads only within the softwares,ps::without cd roller or iso buster it wont read .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back