Cant recognise my hard drive HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

Yesterday i removed some ram from my computer to see what type it used, however i didn't put it back in properly. As a result the computer would not create any power when i turned it on.

Thinking it was something to do with the power supply, i took out my hard drive and put it in another computer.

Having realised i hadn't put the RAM back in properly in my machine, i fixed it and hey presto..power!

So heres the problem. I put the hard drive back in my computer and it originally asked for a boot disk, but then being an ***** i reset all the scsi settings back to default. Now all it does is load up and shows my cd rom drive and just does nothing else.

Can anyone help please?

Are you sure you connected the power cable (4 pins) and the IDE cable (ribbon cable) back to the HDD properly? The red line on the IDE cable should be toward you.

yes, its put back properly. I think that i have just changed some settings somewhere that have messed things up. I was just wondering if there was an easy way to try and manually detect the HDD, or make it read that first instead of checking the A:\ and D:\ drives for a boot or setup disk.

Go into the BIOS menu (usually hold DEL key as soon as the computer starts to boot). Make sure auto detect HDD is turned on. There's a menu for Boot order, move the HDD to the first position.

Make sure the IDE cable is properly connected to the motherboard as well.
That should do it.

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back