Cant reinstall XP and cant system repair

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I tryed to reinstall (clean install) with XP after the blue setup screen it went to saying "We found an error on your harddisk, so remove viruses, run chkdsk /f, and restart and try again" (or something to that effect). After I ran three searches using two different programs for viruses and ran chkdsk twice, I tryed again and same problem. Then I tryed to system repair with my 2000 cd and that didnt work saying "We could not find your harddisk" or something like that. I really dont know where to go from here, so any ideas would help a lot. I have a SCSI Seagate HD that Ive never had problems with before and I can load my computer fine.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

When you did the clean install am i to take it that you did a full format of your HDD?

What caused you to do a clean install in the first place?

Just because you have never had a problem withh your HDD doesn`t mean that it`s ok.

It is a distinct possibility that your HDD is dying, although I hope this is not the case.

How old is the HDD?

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

I got in October of last year. The only reason Im doing a full format is to clean out my comp basically so I can start fresh with XP (right now I have 2000). Like I said, my computer is working fine. The only thing that seems wrong outside of the reinstalling is that it tells me when I choose to repair that it cant find my HDD. I was thinking that I might just have a bad win XP CD, but the repair thing has only to do with the 2000 CD, which is why Im thinking something is wrong with my HDD, but how do I check for problems?

Are you aware that you can do a repair using Windows XP?

Take a look HERE for instructions on how to do this.

I don`t think that you can do a repair using Windows 2000 because you already have XP on your system. Or have I misunderstood something?

Regards Howard :cool:

No, I have a working 2000 computer on which I want to install XP. I tryed to install, but the error occurred with "there is a problem found, so check your HDD". I tryed to repair with 2000, even though every thing seems to be working fine (I can load windows fine) but I couldnt even do that cause it said, "We cant find your HDD".

Did chkdsk find or report any errors ? ? ?
Have you tried re-installing your SCSI drivers ? ?
Personally i would do a format from a bootable floppy first and then do the clean install of XP.

patio. :cool:

Instead of trying to install Windows xp from within 2000.

Go into your bios and make your cd rom the first boot device, then put your XP disc in your drive save and exit bios.

Follow the instructions and delete all partitions and reformat using the ntfs file system.

If that doesn`t work then I don`t know what else to suggest except that maybe your HDD is dying.

Regards Howard :cool:

Thanks for the suggestions. Although, I did solve one problem. I needed a floppy with driver info about my RAID drive from my motherboard CD to run the win 2k or XP install. So now that thats working, Im going to try to install XP again.

Ok, well, it totally worked and now I have XP installed. Bad news... win 2000 is still install, so now I have a multiboot. I dont want win 2k, so is there any way I can safely remove all of win 2k and keep my fresh version of XP? All my files are in the 2k build, but I dont mind loosing all them cause I have them backed up already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back