TechSpot

Can't reset my modem without it DCing the other

By Malted
May 8, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Okay...

I have two DSL Bellsouth Westell VersaLink 327W modems running seperately on two different phone lines. Each one is conneced to a computer with Ethernet. Whenever I turn modem "A" off, modem B is unaffected. But when I turn modem "B" off, modem A gets disconnected from the internet.

I've had this problom for months now. I bought modem "A" first and it ran fine. A year later I bought a new computer, phone line and modem "B". Bellsouth support is terrible and if I can understand what they are saying they will just say disconnect everything and put it back together, which I have tried by the way.

Help would be greatly appreciated! :)
  2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,757   +157

Can you try running both computers off one modem?
  3. Malted

Malted Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

That isn't an option. They are in two different rooms and going wireless causes too much lag.
  4. Tmagic650

So you might try new DSL adapters in all the phone jacks... Are you sure all the adapters are installed?
  5. Malted

Yes I am sure.
  6. Tmagic650

These modems are both on separate phone lines with different phone numbers?
  7. Malted

Yes, they are.
  8. larrrardintx

larrrardintx Newcomer, in training Posts: 27

Did Bellsouth come out to install the modem and the second line, or did they send you a self-install kit? If they installed Line "B" the "technician" may have inadvertenlty jumpered the lines together so that even though you are getting a DSL signal on line "B" The lines are joined.

Also, do you have an alarm, or satellite receiver in the house? These both use a phone line, and they may not be properly filtered.

Alarms and satellite dish boxes are common causes of imporper disconnects, low signal strength etc. I would also try to get Bellsouth to tell you what the loop length is on Line "B" since if it is a new line it may not necessarily be the same distance to the CO as the first line, although I feel it is most likely a crossed over copper pair between the two lines.

Larry
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.