Can't see Icons in "Thumbnail" view in Windows Explorer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

thewolfe

Can't see Icons in "Thumbnail" view in Windows Explorer.

I have messed around changing some of my standard icons and have changed some associations and know am unable to view the picture of the icon in Windows Explorer in "Thumbnail" view.

What is the default File association for icons .ico?

On my Me machine they are not associated with any program. However, in Win2k the "Always use this program...." is grayed out so I can't set it to no association.

I have also downloaded and been using Ifile, IconShop and IconEdit32.

Hope I've made this somewhat clear

See if IconShop or IconEdit32 either one will give you the option of associating .ico files, through their "settings" or "options". If you have an image viewer that supports .ico file extensions, you can associate them with it.

What is your default image viewer? If it has the ability to view .ico files, then you can associate them with it.

If you can't associate it through one of the programs interface, then you can do it through any Windows Explorer window.. Just click Tools in the menu at the top and choose Folder Options>File Types>then find the extension and change the program that opens it.

I can view the icons in acouple of the edit programs but...I would like to be able to see the icons in "Thumnail" view while in Window Explorer.

I know it's possible bewcause it works on my WinMe machine.

Solution:

Solution:

Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 192573

To resolve this issue, verify that the following registry entries exist for the type of file that you are trying to preview:

Registry key: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\file type\ShellEx\{BB2E617C-0920-11d1-9A0B-00C04FC2D6C1}

Value: (Default)="{7376D660-C583-11d0-A3A5-00C04FD706EC}"

Thanks for he help.

Same Icon Issues

I know it's been a while since anyone's added to this forum but I thought I'd add the solution I found to the same issue...

I had 4 Icon programs on my computer and uninstalled 3 and then I couldn't get the file associations back... I found this

http://forums.joeuser.com/Forums.aspx?ForumID=54&AID=80129

Web Site and simply did this:

In explorer, open Tools/Folder Options/Filetypes
Click on "New"
Type "ico" in the box
Click "Advanced"
It should choose "Icon File" automatically.
If it doesn't, select it from the drop down box.

There's more info on the site but that's all it took for me! FYI: I have Windows XP Service Pack 2

I also faced the same problem and came across this posting while searching for a solution.

I solved it by doing this in Windows Explorer
a) Go to menu option \Tools\Folder Options\File Types
b) Search for the .ico entry in the list of file extensions. On my system, this showed that ico files were associated with Microsoft Paint.
c) Click on 'Restore' button and then click OK and close the window

Bingo ! Now you can see all the icons.

I download 800 icons from html~Creek http://datacreek.com/design/ and am able to see all of them in the 'Thumbnail' view of Windows Explorer. My OS is Windows 2000.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back