Cant see 'Remote desktop' Section on REMOTE Tab

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello folks.

Trying to set up remote desktop connections between XP home notebook and XP Pro desktop over wireless connection. I am able to ping from both sides with IP from router. When i went to enable the remote connections, I noticed that I do not have the Remote Desktop section in the lower half of the tab. I have only Remote assistance at the top on both machines. Can anyone tell me why?

I am able to start the remote desktop connection prompt, but not able to make any connection. I have disabled the firewall on both machines.

Error if i try to browse for more: the WORKGROUP domain/workgroup does not contain any terminal servers.

Any help is greatly appreciated
T

talenjay said:
Hello folks.

Trying to set up remote desktop connections between XP home notebook and XP Pro desktop over wireless connection. I am able to ping from both sides with IP from router. When i went to enable the remote connections, I noticed that I do not have the Remote Desktop section in the lower half of the tab. I have only Remote assistance at the top on both machines. Can anyone tell me why?

I am able to start the remote desktop connection prompt, but not able to make any connection. I have disabled the firewall on both machines.

Error if i try to browse for more: the WORKGROUP domain/workgroup does not contain any terminal servers.

Any help is greatly appreciated

T

On the desktop
right click on My Computer
click on poperties
Click on Remote
Uncheck Remote Assitance
Check Remote Desktop
Click Select Remote Users

Select Remote Users
Here's where it gets tricky..

Each PC on your workgroup should have the same workgroup name.

Lesson #1 SmithNet
On SmithNet network you have PC #1 159.0.90.100 XP Pro

Lesson #2 SmithNet
On SmithNet network you have PC #2 159.0.90.101 XP Home

Since XP Home doesn't really do networking correctly you need to setup or get your hands on X-SEtup http://www.x-setup.net/downloads/

This has a section that would allow you to give the XP Home Version network access:

Windows XP Home with XP Home:

Username: Mypass
Password: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Workgroup: SmithNet

Under
---------------
Windows XP Pro

Username: Mypass
Password: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Workgroup: SmithNet

Both PCs should have some sort of default user and password where you could login as user you have setup for admin.

To make things work better I would recommend removing the home XP and put the XP Pro on it. Just makes a better network and Remote works smoothly.

Thanks for the good info.
I discovered TODAY that my Desktop now has the Remote Desktop Section at the bottom of the REMOTE tab. I must have started it somehow but could not see the section when i posted this issue.
And so was able to make a connection to it from the Laptop. That's great! Thanks for the info !

Cant start remote desktop conection after sp3 install

After installin SP3, the remote desktop connection does not work, from shortcut or program.

I get the following response:

The system could not find the specified file:
c:\Windows\System32\<LANG_NAME>\mstsc.exe.MUI

Can someone please help. Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back