Can't seem to overclock my A8R-MVP?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In all the reviews I've seen on this board (and my CPU), they go on and on about how great of an overclocker this board is, but I can't seem to properly overclock without some POST message coming up saying essentially, "Go back to START!"

Here's my specs:
MOBO: A8R-MVP
CPU: AMD x2 3800+
Mem: Corsair XMS DDR-400 (1Gb)
HD: Raptor 74Gb 10,000RPM

Must posts that I've read say you can run the CPU at 2.4Ghz, but how do you set that in the BIOS? I see CPU Freq. (200-400) and multiplier (x10). There's also a HT setting (1000) and the CPU core voltage can only go up to (1.4v). I also read you can get the FSB up to 310Mhz, but when I set the CPU Freq to 248 and the multiplier to x8 (per the formula), I get a post message. I'm I setting this right?

Also, the BIOS has super simple OC profiles (+3%-+25%), but when I use the lowest setting, my machine will boot up, but eventually will freeze. My temps are low (40/30 idle cpu/mobo, +6 under stress), so is it just that I have one of those CPUs that just won't overclock very well?

Thanks,
Lou

Yup, I following all that and still can't overclock to anything that is stable. My memory and VPU can overclock just fine, just not my CPU and MOBO. Here's the lowest setting I tried but still to no avail:

HTT: 400Mhz (Default 1000)
CPU Freq: 210 (Def. 200)
CPU Voltage: 1.4v (Def. 1.375)
Mem Voltage: 2.7v (this is def.)
Multiplier: x10 (this is def.)
Mem settings: 2-3-3-7 1T (200Mhz - DDR 400) (Memory is rated at these settings)

I left everything else alone, and this configuration will boot, but I get GPFs whenever I try to run 3DMark or play UT2k4. My temps are 39/30 (idle) and 45/32 (stressed). I don't see how others have been able to push it. Have I missed some setting. Do I just have lame CPU or MOBO?

TIA,
Lou

Yep, that did the trick. Instead of setting the memory manually, I opted for the BIOS to set them according to my CPU Freq/Multiplier. The BIOS would then set the timings to 3-3-3-8 to get me to 2.4Ghz. Which was my goal...thanks!

Oh, this little setting proly helped to: VCore overvoltage since the BIOS only let's you go up to 1.4v. This setting will flux the voltage between 1.46 +/- 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back